Chapter 11

“Can I come in?”

I hesitated a little before fully opening my bedroom door for Jeff to get in, “Sure.” I stole a quick glance at the balcony and was relieved to see that Nathaniel was out of sight.

At that moment I was glad I chose to put gray curtains up. I liked the dark curtains at the time, because they blocked the sunlight in the morning perfectly. Right now I liked them because they blocked the posture of my mate perfectly. He caught me glancing and turned his head towards the balcony frowning.

As he turned his head in my direction his eyes landed on my bed and then on my outfit. “I hope I didn’t wake you?”

“No, no you didn’t,” I said a little too fast.

“Oh, I thought…,” he trailed of lifting a questioning brow as he looked me over and glance at the bed again.

I followed his gaze and realized what he was getting at when I remembered again what I was wearing and the state we left the bed in.

I felt a little self-conscious and pulled my shirt down as I nervously shifted my weight from one foot to the other.

“I was just.. eh.. about to go to sleep.” It wasn’t completely a lie. I really was about to go to sleep before Nate came.

“So to what do I owe this visit?” I asked to get the questioning look off his face.

He seemed to remember why he came, because I felt his mood change instantly. He took a deep breath to start talking, but instead of talking he held his breath with an expressionless face. For the second time in two minutes his mood changed abruptly.

“When’s the last time Cooper was here?” he asked with a hard look in his eyes.

Every drop of blood left my face at the mention of Nathaniel. I turned around to make sure he wouldn’t be able to read the answer off my face.

“Eh..today. Why?” His silence was making me nervous and I felt like a coward for not being able to look him in the eyes.

You’re an Alpha for God’s sake. Get your shit together and turn around. My wolf ‘encouraged’ me.

I didn’t like her choice of words, but she was right. I had a game face after all that I used at pack meetings so why not use it know. As far as Jeff knows, Nathaniel is pack matter. It would make perfect sense if I used the same facial expression I used when we’re discussing pack business.

I heard Jeff speak behind me, but his words never reached me because I was too far away with my thoughts.

Damn it, I’m over thinking things again. “What?” I asked as I turned around.

“I said, I smelt his scent downstairs. Which makes perfect sense, the guy spends most of his free time here. What doesn’t make sense however is that I smell his scent all over your room..” he looked at me expectantly.

“Not that it is any of your business, but I had some files in my room he needed,” I told him with a frown that basically said ‘don’t you dare ask more questions’.

The underlying messaged was well received, all he said was, “Oh.”

I stole a quick glance at my window and luckily Nathaniel was nowhere to be found. I felt his presence near me though, meaning he didn’t completely leave, he was just out of sight.

My attention was once again back on Jeff. I needed to get him out of my room, and fast..

“Did you came here only to play the detective or was there another purpose for your visit?” I asked with annoyance.