𝙚𝙡𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣. childhood

[Maki & Mai, Age 5]

[Maki & Mai, Age 5]

"Hey Maki, I heard we're having a new neighbor" Mai said while peeking at their window.

"So?"

"What do you mean so? We'll finally have a new playmate! Someone that's not our cousin or a boy"

"Why would our family let outsiders stay in our village? And what if they're all adults"

"No! There's a girl, she looks like our age" she says still not taking her gaze away from the window.

"Really?"

"Maki, Mai, come out here" they heard their mother's voice.

"Come, let's visit the new neighbor, you'll finally have a girl playmate of your age" she smiled at them and they both came with their mother to the front door of the house just right beside them.

"Nanami-san, welcome! I hope you are comfortable here" their mother greeted a woman just a few years older than her

"Zeni'n-san the place is cozy, thank you very much, my, are these your daughters?" she crouched a bit and gave them a warm smile, both of them bowed at her as greeting.

"Come in, come in" she gestured and they sat on the tatami mats in front of a table. All of the houses built in the Zen'in village were traditional Japanese houses.

"Let me introduce my niece to you, she's just about the same age as you, Y/N, come here, we have vistors!"

Sounds of small footsteps were heard and later on revealed a little girl who was wary of their presence. "Go on, you three have fun" the twins' mother urged the both of them to talk to each other and leave them adults behind.

"Hi I'm Mai"

"Maki"

They introduced.

But the girl only stared at them.

"Uhh what's your name?" Maki asked.

But instead of telling her name, "Why are there two of you who looks the same?" was the first thing she blurted out. The current Maki chuckled upon remembering the memory.

The five-year old twins tilted their head at the same time. "Huh? You haven't seen twins?" Maki asked, weirded out at the girl.

"I...haven't, I'm sorry" she avoided their gazes and looked on the ground.

"That's okay, now you saw one" Mai said. "What's your name?"

"I'm Y/N" she almost whispered.

Days passed by as they tried talking to her but she only responded few words to them. It was as if they found a female version of their cousin, Megumi.

Until one day...

"Y/N? Why are you crying?" Maki found the girl outside her house all alone and crying. She had just successfully snuck outside their house waiting for her twin, when she passed by the Nanamis.