𝙩𝙚𝙣. realizations

Meanwhile, at Inumaki and Yuta's apartment, the black-haired boy was staring into nothing then suddenly shows a flustered face, then a sad one and then an annoyed one and then a blank one

"You look crazy you know" Inumaki said while munching an onigiri. He was currently in Inumaki's room as Yuta actually wanted some advice.

"Toge..." he started. "I'm...confused"

Inumaki deadpanned.

"Of course you are, for someone who studies well and gets good grades, you are really dumb" Strike one.

"You of all people should know what your feelings are, you shouldn't even be asking me right now" Strike two.

"What are you even confused about? Everything looks clear to me, get yourself together" Strike three.

"But since I'm your friend I shall help you, so go on, tell me what's bothering you" he said and took another bite of his onigiri. 

Inumaki may be quiet, but this guy is sharp and blunt. Everything he says is always bullseye.

"It's..." Yuta suddenly didn't want to speak, he's embarrassed to say it out loud.

"Dude, if you can't admit that you like Y/N to me, then how can you admit it to her?" Strike four.

"Wha—how did you—"

"It's obvious?? At least for me, but I know Maki had also caught up, you know she actually said something to me" This made Yuta nervous, it's been a week since Y/N was clearly avoiding them in campus, and always making an excuse when he messages her.

"What did she say?"

"She said if you don't get to your senses yourself, she would really be the one to beat you to it"

Yuta flashed a scared face. An angry Maki is a really, severely, overly scary Maki.

"But Toge, I'm really confused, I don't know what to do" he said while unconsciously fidgeting with the ring on his finger.

Of course Inumaki saw this and gave him a pitiful look, not just for him but also for Y/N.

"Do you like Y/N?" he asked.

"Well, I think I do"

"Just answer yes or no"

"But it's—"

"Yes or no, Yuta, no other choices"

"Yes"

"There you go, now tell me honestly, what's putting you in a dilemma is not whether you like her or not, it's that" he paused. "Am I right?" Inumaki said and pointed at the ring on his finger.

And Yuta felt like he was poured with a bucket full of ice water in his head.

"You need to choose which to let go, Yuta" Inumaki, lied down and raised his fingers.

"Is it the past, or the present?"

"Dead or alive?"

"Rika or Y/N"

"It's really up to you, but you know what, I suggest you really think about what Y/N really means to you, then you decide."

"You don't want to regret do you? All I can say is, if you make a mistake in choosing, you'll really lose someone dear to you"

"Inumaki you little prick, I didn't know you were a love guru, your choice of words really...ha...so brutal as always, but thank you, man"

"I'm not a love guru, I only state facts from what I have observed". Inumaki turned to him and smiled widely. "And that would be 10 pieces of onigiri sir"

"Why you!"

━━━━━━━━━━━

Yuta knows well himself that Rika, his childhood friend, would only want what's best for him, but he could not help to feel guilty about certain things. He felt like it was wrong for him to just forget her, he felt like he's replacing her if he lets his feelings out, but his recent conversation with Inumaki made him realize some things.

"Rika would understand, she would be happy if you are happy, right?"

"Yeah...I guess"

"Then stop holding back, I have pretty much observed you two, and both of you are so frustrating. I even want to smack you sometimes, you're lucky Maki hasn't done anything yet, or worse, Mai"

"I really want to know more about her, but I don't know how to start—oww! What was that for?" Inumaki reached his limits, he just flicked his friend's forehead.

"Okkotsu Yuta, are you blind or something? Is this what they mean  when they say love is blind?"

"What?"

"Maki's literally there, you can ask her some things about Y/N or ask for her help" he said. "But make sure you have a full resolve and your will is intact, otherwise you won't win her favor, ever"

And that's exactly why he's now at Maki and Mai's door.

"Took you long enough, come in" Maki gestured and led him to the living room.

"Is Mai here?"

"No she's not. What, is she the one you're looking for?"

"No, I just wanted to make sure, don't wanna get beaten up by two Makis if ever" he mumbled which luckily, Maki did not hear.

"What is it that you had to interrupt my movie marathon?"

"Sorry, it's about Y/N"

Now this had Maki's full attention. She adjusted the rim of her glasses and faced him with a serious expression.

"Speak"

"I...like her—ouch! What??"

"Ha! And why are you telling me that?" she raised her eyebrows.

"I...wanted to know more about her, I have decided...to get to know her even more"

"Come back to me when you have fully let go of your excess baggage" she said, side glancing at his ring but was taken aback when she saw he wasn't wearing it anymore.

"If you meant Rika...I think I'm ready to let her go" he smiled a little.

"Look, Okkotsu, Y/N is really precious to me and Mai, I just really want her to be happy on her endeavors in life, we don't want her to get hurt ever, so promise me that you are serious"

"I...am, I have already decided, and I will not take my words back" he said with determination.

"If I ever find her crying because of you I'll never forgive you" Maki threatened.

"I... know, that's also why I'm here, to ask more about her, if that's okay? I want to know more about her, you have known her for the longest"

Maki sighed, looks like she will have to tell some bits of their childhood to Yuta for him to understand why Mai and her really treasures her and would do anything to protect her.

"Y/N...is like our long-lost sister..." she started and remembered their childhood.

━━━━━━━━━━━

five chapters left (。>\\<), thank you so much for reading and voting! (ෆ˙ᵕ˙ෆ)♡