Chapter Sixteen

That night, hours after Elizabeth had gotten home from work after the outing, she'd stayed up for hours researching, so focused that she'd declined both Sydney and Monica's calls and hadn't since picked up or even looked at her phone. She was up way past her scheduled time she'd planned out for her only off day due to the outing and after countless hours of research, her eyes were straining while she read the next blurred line.

    Me and Charley stalked our way towards the rest area a little aways from the bar area. I smiled at Charley as we both stifled a mischievous laugh. We could hear the two making conversation and so I didn't make a sound until Charley urged me to.

   "Better late than never, Granny. You still drinking enough water?" Was Ms.Percy an alcoholic or something? It made sense if she worked in a bar area with her dancers.

    "Does tea count?" Ms.Percy snickered, pursing her lips with a sly grin as she leaned on the side of her left.

     "No, it doesn't count."

     "Then no."

    "Are you drinking enough blood to sustain yourself or are you still refusing it?" I brushed it off as a joking matter-after all, it could be some kind of joke. They could have known we were here already and plan to fool us.

    Rome's eyebrows fuzzled before he turned to Ms.Percy, "I can survive on the subs-"

    "Ahem." That was when Charley intervened and finally brought attention to the both of us, "Ms.Percy, she's dressed and ready." She announced with a smile before shooting Rome an annoyed glance. She grinned at me and nudged me to go and show Ms.Percy and Rome what I was wearing.

     "Then let us see."

     I walked forward from the area behind the couch and recliner towards the small area in front of them, in clear view of Ms.Percy, Romulus, and Charlie to see.

    I was wearing many fabrics, most of which were blue and green and my hair cascaded down past my shoulders. My hair, which had been in a bun earlier, was now down and small braids were loose in my hair, most unnoticeable as I held my hands behind my back. There were clothes wrapped around her body, both see-through and not. She fit right in with the bunch, the only difference being a small sun tattoo on her wrist.

     I felt vulnerable like this, I was so damn gullible. There was nothing wrong with Rome, he'd been nothing but kind to me so far but due to his answer and then Charley's response, she knew something that I didn't. She would inevitably shoot me down if I asked questions.

     "Does it look good?" I asked, unsure if the costume looked alright on me. There weren't any mirrors in the dressing room so all I'd had to rely on was Charley's word.

    Charlie smiled at me before raising her arms out at me, "She looks gorgeous, doesn't she?"

    "Absolutely tantalizing! Darling, come sit." Ms.Percy ordered, patting the seat beside her. She scooted an inch away in the couch to give me extra room, a seemly smile on her face, "Say dear, would you like some Chamomile Tea? It's quite nice for nerves if you're worried about dancing?"

    I smiled warily before shaking my head, "Thank you, but I'm alright. Me and Rome went to a cafe not too long ago and if I drink it and then dance directly after, it might not end so well." I bit the inside of my cheek, unsure if I sounded rude or not.

    "It's good he's taking care of you. Right, Romulus? Doesn't she look wonderful?" Ms.Percy turned with another one of her smiles to Rome who'd hid his head in his hands. Was something the matter? Did he not like it? I could have been certain he'd seen the costume but I could easily be wrong.

    Rome had taken off his hat to put it on his lap but nodded, running a hand through his hair, "Yes, Ms.Percy, Elizabeth looks lovely." Oh. Was that what I thought it was?

    "Elizabeth, why don't you and Charley go and dance? I'm sure it would be very fun for the other girls to teach you what they're doing. If you and Romulus come here often, it could be good for your muscles and you might even discover more job opportunities."

    I half-smiled as if I needed any more jobs; the two I was working were driving me to the bone but before I could decline, Charley whisked me away with a chuckle.

      "Come dance with us! You can talk to Ms.Percy later-she might want to catch up with Romulus. He doesn't visit often."

    "Does he not live near here?"

    "God no, he lives a few towns away but don't mind him, you have some things to learn."

     "Ah, I guess I do." I chuckled lifting out my leg, attempting to dance with Charley and the other girls. Evidently, the dance was just as hard as it looked and it held no mercy to my aching muscles.

     Word Count: 852