Chapter 16

Mitch's POV

I woke up next to Jerome, remembering yesterdays events. Out of tears, or just emotions in general, I decided to go downstairs. The doorknob was in my grasp when I heard a mumble from behind me. "Wait up, Biggums." Jerome was awake. Last night I had needed someone to lean on, and so did he. We leaned on each other to share the weight. I opened the door for him, and he nodded at me, as if to say 'Thanks'. I returned the gesture, as I was rather dead inside, and aching on the outside as well. After yesterday, my soul has felt rather drained. It may be from the fact that my brain is still in the process of registering the... everything that happened. Maybe Seto's healing spells take a piece of your soul to work. Either way, I didn't feel anything.

I poured myself a bowl of cereal and offered one to Jerome as well, but he didn't want one. I guess he would rather just lay on the torn couch, staring at the spot where our friend once lied, than join me at the table for some breakfast. The moment I sat down and looked at the bowl of food placed in front of me, I realised how hard it would be to eat. Instead of facing the challenge like I normally would, my arms pushed the bowl away. I just felt... nothing. Dead, like the friend we failed to save.

I assumed Jerome felt the same way, if he felt anything at all. We had both heard what Ian was yelling, and it caused us to loosen our grip, just in time for him to transform. At first, only Sub had noticed the change, but soon everyone did. First, Ian had stopped struggling, then he just... laughed. His horrible screeches felt like someone was trying to tear off my ears. It's all a blur from there. I just faintly remember watching Jerome let go of Him to cover his ears, then copying my Biggums' actions almost immediately. What a mistake.

Once He was released from our grip, the wind around his form seemed to lift him, so that He looked like he was flying. In my haze, I swear I could see two wings sprout from His back. They were a slightly transparent shade of blood red, with misty black streaks seeping out from the torn feathers. He almost looked like an angel, that is, one that was the spawn of Satan himself.

Jerome and I fought Him the best we could, and Sub soon joined by our side. Spells were being thrown left and right, and we all tried our hardest, but that wasn't enough. By the time we saw Him dive towards Quentin, it was too late.

It wasn't the flaming punches that killed him, nor the multiple stab wounds, or the blood them flooded out from them. It was the words that He said to his victim. No one else could hear what He said, but we could all see the results. As our friend was released, he seemed to cry blood, meanwhile choking on what was seemingly invisible knives. He spewed boiling blood everywhere, causing literally everyone in the room to freeze and just stare in absolute terror, except Him. He watched in joy, smiling at his victory. Seto saw the opportunity and used it to take Him down with a couple of powerful spells, strong enough to knock both himand the demonic angel out cold. He seemed to submit to the glasses now, satisfied by his kill. As He went down, a grotesque smile covered the monsters face. It was full of some sort of awful, twisted joy, as if He had been soothed by the sight of the blood that had seeped from his unfortunate victim.

The image was scarred into my mind, taunting me at my failure. I was woken from my flashback by a mourning Jason. My eyes followed him as he sat down beside me. Silence in a once lively home.

"Hey..." I broke the silence. My voice was raspy from crying.

"hi..." He practically whispered. His voice sounded just as nasty as mine, if not worse. The silence returned.

"... do ya want the cereal?" I offered after a while. "No one else wants it, and it hasn't been touched."

"No thanks. Not hungry." His answer was predictable. I mean, seriously, who could ever eat in a situation like this?

Eventually after quite a while, we all started to chat, just Jason, Jerome, and I. The topic we all wanted to forget was never mentioned, until Jerome heard footsteps getting close.

"Guys, do ya hear that?" He whispered, causing us to all go silent. After a couple moments of listening I responded. "Not at all." Jason nodded in agreement with my statement. Some times, I swear Jerome has super hearing, sort of like a dog of some sort. Jerome was insistent. "Shhhh..." He commanded, lifting a finger into the air, then sniffing. His eyes grew wide, full of fear. "I-i think I s-smell b-blood-d."

"How d-" I was interrupted by foot steps, slowly but surely approaching us. We all froze.

"Told ya." Jerome's words were barely audible, but I heard them loud and clear. Almost immediately after he spoke, the door opened, and Ian walked in. At first he didn't notice us, instead just walking towards the fridge to get some milk.

"Making cereal?" Jason asked. His sudden words made Ian jump, then whip his head around to face us.

"Holey crap dudes! I-" His words seemed to get caught in his throat, like he didn't know what to say.

"If you're making cereal, don't bother. We have one right here if you want it." Still no response from Ian. "No ones touched it, we promise."

"O-okay." Replied a shaky Ian. He put the milk back into the fridge as if it was made of brittle glass, then walked towards our table.

Ian's POV

Nervous, I put the milk away. They seem so calm after what Derp did yesterday. What is up? I cautiously walked towards their table and took a seat. A couple bites of cereal later, Jerome dropped the question. 3 words.

"Care to explain?" Appetite lost, then and there.

"So this is why no one ate the cereal, right?" I understood now why it was untouched.

"Yah..." Responded Jason. I kept silent, and so did everyone else, except Jerome.

"*cough*cough*" He seemed rather insistent on this matter, though Jason definitely looked the most interested.

"Fine! Fine." I gave up. I guess it's story time. "I'll start from the beginning." I took a deep breath. "I was born with my eyes shut..."