Chapter 38

Chapter 38 – Ann’s POV

            “Ann!” the shouting from the second floor breaks the silence in the living room, each of us flinching in surprise at the sudden loudness. “Anneliese Kelly!” the voice shouts again, the one I recognize as my sister. First comes the shock and then the astonishment kicks in. I look into the faces of the others to see if I’m just imagining things and their expression mirrors mine. Apart from last night’s struggles, Larissa didn’t show any sign of her exuberance, outgoing nature…until now.

Jumping up from the loveseat I share with Liam, I call out, “Coming!” Beaming excitedly at the Liam, he gives me an encouraging smile and I pretty much gleefully prance up the stairs, grabbing Maia’s hand and pulling her a long with me. We navigate our way towards where we left Larissa – well, more like I navigate and drag Maia, stumbling as I pull her along. Maia doesn’t complain but she grunts a few times, telling me how uncomfortable she is. When we finally arrive outside of the bedroom, I hesitantly turn the knob and peer inside. I frown when I see no one.

“Run a little faster next time, will you,” Maia grumble, rubbing her wrist. Opps! I guess I might’ve hold on too tight. “Even better, why don’t you just rip off my arm in the process, it’s not like I have much use for it anyway,” she continues sarcastically.

I grin at her. “Sorry, Maia, I’m just excited to help Larissa.”

“I know,” she rolls her eyes, “Speaking of which, where is she?”

Noises from the bathroom answer our question. Sharing a look with each other, we walk towards the bathroom and slowly open the door. The sight I see makes me want to laugh and fuss at the same time but in the end I just stand still, mouth gaping open. Larissa’s pacing from one end of the bathroom to the other end repeatedly, mumbling things under her breath while she runs her hand through her messily brown hair. A completely baffled Lottie stand on the side, looking loss and worried.

“Hey, Larissa,” I say hesitantly, unsure of her response. She stops pacing and look up at us at the doorway. “What’s going on?” Her eyes stray at us for about a minute before she looks down again and continues with the pacing and mumbling.

Maia walks pass me towards Lottie. “What’s up with her?”

The normally cheerful, perky girl is no more when she says, “I was just giving Larissa her clothes like you asked and introduced myself when she just...” she flails her hand, at loss for words. We nod, urging her to continue. She then turns towards the still pacing Larissa, who looks completely mental right now, and gesture towards her with her hand, “she just do that all of a sudden. I try to talk to her and calm her down but it only makes it worse.”

“Larissa,” I call her name. She doesn’t acknowledge me. “Larissa.”

“Did I do something wrong?” Lottie asks us, worried.

“No, of course not,” Maia quickly reassures her, patting her arm. “It’s just been a rough few days for her. It has nothing to do with you at all, so don’t you worry.” While Maia continues to soothe Lottie’s worries, I try to get Larissa’s attention again. But she seems to be in her own world as every time I call her name it either goes unnoticed or ignored. For a split second, I experience how it was for her when Clover and I ignored her weeks ago.

Sighing, I step in front of her line of pacing. She stops and makes a move to side step me but I hold onto her shoulders, preventing her from moving. Larissa look anywhere but my eye and I can hear her muttering under her breathes. “Larissa Kelly!” I shake her shoulder, hard. She looks at me, her iris coming into focus, finally aware of her surroundings. “What’s going on?” She let out a breath and closes her eyes.