Chapter 10

The bell at Sunnyside rings and the Caterpillar Room children rush inside, hang their backpacks and start playing. One of those kids was Bonnie, and inside her backpack were Woody, Red and Balto. They climb out of the backpack and onto the shelf. Then they climb up the cabinets and into the ceiling. Once they get up there, they crawl around to find a different way around. They hear the kids and crawl out of the ceiling to find a place to hide.

After jumping over bottles, cans, and paper towels, they hide behind beanbag chairs that were on top of a play castle. Then they saw all the kids throwing, slamming and kicking all the other toys. Jessie and Scrat were both thrown by one of the little girls towards the wall. As they watched in horror, the toy telephone begins ringing behind them. It catches their attention. The phone throws the handle on the ground to signal them to answer. They run towards the phone to talk to him.

Woody: "Uhh, Hello?"

Telephone: "You shouldn't have come back, boys. They've cracked down hard since you three left. More cars, more patrols, you and your friends ain't ever getting out of here."

Woody: "We made it out once."

Balto: "We can make it out again."

Telephone: "You got lucky once. Want my advice? Keep your heads down, you'll survive."

Woody: "Yeah. For how long?"

Telephone: "I've been here years. They'll never break me. There's only one way toys leaves this place." The Telephone leads the three friends to the window. They see the janitor throw a broken toy train in the trash chute.

Telephone: "Poor fella. Trash truck comes at dawn, and it's off to the dump."

Woody: "Look I appreciate your concern old timer. But we have a kid waiting for us. Now we're leaving. If you'd help us, one toy to another we'd sure be grateful."

Red: "Please. This is important to us."

Telephone: (sighs) "Well, if you're gonna get out, first thing is you gotta get through the doors. Locked every night. Inside and out. Keys are left on a hook in the office."

Woody: "Got it, what else?"

Telephone: "Lotso has trucks patrolling all night long. Hallway, lobby, playground."

Woody: "Yeah yeah what about the walls?"

Telephone: "Eight feet high. Cinder block. No way through it. You go over or under."

Woody: "That's it? Doesn't seem so bad."

Telephone: "It's not, your real problem is the monkey."

Balto: "I sure hope that that's not our friend named Monkey."

Red: "What? No!"

Telephone: "Relax, your monkey friend is fine. But this Monkey is much worse. This monkey is the eye in the sky. He sees everything. Classrooms. Hallways. Even the playground."

The setting switches to a toy monkey with cymbals watching the security cameras. Every time a toy tries escaping, he sees them with the camera and screams into a microphone. The scream alerted Lotso and his gang and Big Baby would grab them.

Telephone: "You can unlock doors, sneak past guards, climb the walls, but if you don't take out that monkey, you ain't going nowhere. Wanna get out of here? Get rid of that monkey!"