I Have Issues

My heart was pounding so hard it was all I could hear and feel. I walk out of class heading towards the dining hall for dinner like everyone else who were giving me disgusted looks, whispering things a little too loud.

"Altani said she sent snakes after her 'cuz she knew about her phobia."

"She didn't get in any trouble because she's been spending extra time with professor Elide, if you know what I mean."

My jaw drops and I spin to stand in front of the guy who just accused me of sleeping with a professor. He comes to a halt with some surprise. Did he not realize he wasn't even whispering?

"Say it again," I growl, body tense with outrage. "Say it again!"

The guy, a vampire, looks around at the students who are now watching. I didn't care. They'd been watching me all damn day.

"I just—"

My hands shook at my sides, my vision tunneling around the guy. When he looks back at me his face goes slack. I want him to say it again, say it to my face. Hell, I want him to say it to professor Elide and see what kind of trouble that gets him into.

The vampire goes still, the girl behind him stepping away with fear on her face.

"Stop it!" Someone yells. "What are you doing?!"

I'm pushed away, my chest heaving. Nora turns me around gripping my shoulders.

"What the hell, Nathara!" She glances behind me at the students, concern in her eyes when she looks back. "Your eyes..."

"He accused me of sleeping with Elide!" I snap with my hands still clenched.

"Are you?"

I jerk away from her, anger meshing with shock. How could she ask me that? Instant regret covers her features, lips parting.

"Nathara—"

"Fuck you." I spin on my heel, walking away from the dining hall.

Here I thought girlfriends were supposed to be on the side of their partner. She knew Professor Elide was teaching me control. I told her! Now everyone was spreading gossip and somehow Nora was starting to believe it.

I didn't want to cry, but I was so overwhelmed with so many emotions that the tears were already welling up in my eyes. I wipe them away harshly. No where felt safe around here anymore. Other than my room and the tower platform, people were everywhere staring and spreading rumors.

When I reach the hallway of my dorm room I slow down and try to catch my breath. "Fucking unbelievable," I mutter to myself.

A door closes nearby and I look up to see Asena. Great. I didn't need to hear any more bitchy comments from her. Last time we would have torn each other apart if Larken hadn't stopped her.

Coincidentally, Asena was leaving Larken's room next to mine. She sees me and smirks.

"Can't take the heat?" She asks me.

"Fuck off," I scoff. Her smug expression wavers.

"All I'm saying is people are just jealous of you." She shrugs, slowly walking away.

"Jealous?" I almost laugh.

Asena brushes her blue hair over her shoulder. "Yeah. They wish they had as much power as you."

I stop before I get to my door. It didn't seem like a good idea to show her where my room was, especially if she just left Larken's room looking smug. Seemed he went back to his terrible taste in women.