Ajo: Chapter Twenty

"You disappoint me." 

Ajo was wary of the witch, and more than a little concerned that she might attempt—and succeed—in ensnaring him again. He wanted no part of his old life, not as a king or villain or prisoner. He wanted to be no one, forgotten and forever alone.

"I unleashed a powerful beast into the woods. I told you to kill our enemy. And now—what? You think taking her daughter would make up for it? It was a marvelous piece of wickedness, struck Galeia right in the heart, but you wish to give that up, too? Pathetic."

"I'm leaving the woods," he rasped, wincing as pain shot from the wound in his neck. 

He wasn't sure why he told her, or if he meant it as proclamation to the woods around him.

She spat on the ground. "I don't believe you will."

With little effort, she pulled the blade from him, and Ajo cried out but Lilith spared him no sympathy as she examined the weapon in her hand. Stinging heat ran through Ajo as the wound began to knit together.

"It's been fun, watching the hate between you and Galeia. Back and forth, like moths drawn to fire, neither one can resist provoking and hurting the other. But I grow tired of petty insults and insignificant fights. You'll see through what you've begun, and crush Galeia's spirit by taking her child."

"I don't want anything to do with my old life," Ajo answered when the ache in his neck had mostly left. "I've decided to give up my revenge and move on." 

Lilith raised an eyebrow. "You think it will be easy to forget?"

"I must try."

Lilith tossed the blade into the snow. Ajo picked it up and looked at the tree Galeia had been bound to. It was a cursed thing now, a monument to his shame, so he dug the blade into its trunk.

"What are you doing?" Lilith asked.

"Making sure what happened here will never be forgotten."

"I thought you wanted to forget."

"Not this." When he was finished he turned to the hag. "Why have you come to me?"

"I have an offer."

Ajo scoffed. "I must decline."

"Even if I know a way to take your pain forever?"

Ajo was not moved by her false kindness. The hag only extended courtesy when she was about to inflict torture.

"What would you gain in it?"

She did not answer, but summoned a bottle between her fingers.

"Drink this, and your agony will run from you like tears from a starving infant."

She tossed the bottle to him. Inside was a concoction of black ink with flecks of silver. He opened it and held it to his nose, inhaling the scent of cinnamon and anise.

"You mean to take my memories," he said simultaneously with his realization.

"Do you care?"

"You'll use them against others."

"You won't know who they are."

"What of my promise to Galeia?"

"What of it?"

"I mean to refuse the vow, but if I don't remember...who will answer when her child calls to me?"

Lilith shrugged. "If you have no memory, why should you answer at all?"