A Proper Education: Chapter Four

The next day began just as the last one had.

And the one after that—

Credence lost count of how many days—or weeks—or months—went by while she remained inside the school. She dreamed of a time when she was free to walk the woods and do as she wished. The danger they held became a longed-for adventure, far preferable to painting and talking about colors.

It was the same kind of longing, Credence realized, that once made her restless at home.

One morning Credence woke early and went to a window in her sleeping quarters, taking a moment to herself in the peace and quiet. She had a view of the courtyard, with its stone path and orchard. It was a pleasant scene, as the fingers of sunrise lightly traced over it, but the trees of the orchard were not particularly pretty, gnarled as they were, and Credence doubted they would ever bear fruit. They were out of place in such a lovely setting, but Credence thought little of it as her eyes wandered above the gated courtyard and towards the buildings of the towns. The streets were already busy with people, strangers Credence would never know the names of, moving like ants with their own unknown purpose. It was a peculiar thing to comprehend they all had lives and memories and dreams. The thought made Credence feel insignificant, so she turned from the window to begin her daily routine. The rest of the room woke and she dressed Tildy before walking in a silent line to breakfast.

Credence didn't ask any more questions of her peers, only half listening to their conversation as she swallowed her breakfast without tasting it. She took their medicine, that lovely, dessert-like syrup, and walked with her classmates to the first lesson of the day.

The movement of the children through the hall was precise, so like a dance, as if they were one mind spread amongst several bodies. Everyone knew where to go and what pace to take. Without a line to stay in, Credence struggled to maintain the same fluidity as she moved throughout the crowd. She was new, she told herself, or she still felt that way, and the rhythm of the school had not yet become a habit in her body. It would take time before she could join their effortless grace.

But it was strange to her, how everyone moved like ghosts across water, without care or curiosity for anything around them.

When she entered the room for her lesson, Credence noticed a small stack of books atop the Headmaster's table. The sight gave her great relief, and she looked forward to learning something useful, but she was disappointed when the Headmaster explained that the books would not be opened, but were to be placed atop everyone's head like a hat.

At the mere suggestion, the class giggled, but Headmaster assured them the task had value. They were going to practice grace, using the book to maintain perfect poise. The ultimate goal was to walk without holding or dropping the book. It was an impossible task, and the Headmaster allowed nervous laughter as the students failed several times.

Try as she might, Credence could not keep the book on her head. She could balance it well enough while she was standing still, but the instant she moved the book slipped away and landed on the floor with a disgraceful thud.

"Fantastic!" the Headmaster's voice rang through the room, and the class looked over to see him addressing a girl whose name Credence didn't know. The girl was walking carefully from one end of the room to the next

And the book atop her head lay as still as a corpse.

She was the first to figure it out.

The Headmaster clapped his hands in approval.

"A good student deserves a reward," he said and pulled a vial from his pocket. Inside was a pinkish mixture. "Walk to me and keep your poise. If you do, the prize is yours."