A Proper Education: Chapter Five

Every last inch of the school was covered in flowers and vines.

When she had run out of room on the walls, the girl who drank the Headmaster's potion turned the power upon herself, and now wore a lovely gown of her own making, with flora draping from ears to ankles.

Several students plucked flowers to place in their hair, or carried batches in their arms to hang on their beds as ornaments. The only people not delighted with the new look were the domestics, who didn't spare a second glance at the décor and acted like nothing was there, even when they had to sweep away mountains of petals from the hallway floors. A few domestics begrudgingly wore flower crowns atop their ancient heads, which had undoubtedly been spelled there against their will.

When dinner came, the school's new look, and its decorator, were the center of attention. Tildy was caught up in the excitement, twirling and laughing alongside the younger children as she threw armfuls of petals into the air, so distracted that she didn't greet Credence at the door, having forgotten her older friend entirely.

Credence was relieved that she didn't share sleeping quarters with the girl who drank the potion, for she was growing tired of hearing the same story over and over, of the girl looking at a wall, the girl pointing to a wall, and the girl watching the wall sprout with pink flowers and green leaves.

Her mild jealousy was interrupted by giggling, and she turned to find two of her female classmates whispering into each other's ears. When she questioned what they found humorous, one of the girls shrugged.

"It's nothing," she said with a giggle. "It's our secret."

"They're talking about the Headmaster," Gregory interjected with disdain. "They like the look of him."

"Shut your mouth," snapped the other girl. "You don't know what you're talking about."

"You think I can't hear you braying about him like jackasses? Your whispers are barely lower than a shout."

"Is he right?" Credence asked. "Do you think the Headmaster is handsome?"

"Well," muttered one of the girls, a blush rising in her cheeks, "just a little."

"Ridiculous," Gregory said before stabbing his fork into his food.

"I can't help it if his eyes put me in a trance," argued one of the girls.

"Or if his lips are begging for a kiss," added another. "What about you, Credence? What do you think of the Headmaster?"

"She's from the woods," Gregory said. "She'd probably think a wolf was handsome."

"Maybe you're jealous none of us think much of you," Credence bit back.

The girls laughed and Gregory threw a scowl in Credence's direction.

"I don't care about any of you," he mumbled. "Least of all some woodfolk savage."

"Go on, Credence," urged one of the girls, "do you think the Headmaster is handsome?"

Credence began to reply but stopped herself. Embarrassment bloomed across her face and the girls grinned knowingly.

"I knew it, of course she does!" said one.

"Who wouldn't?" said the other.

They burst into another fit of giggling before speaking in rapid succession.

"I'm going to practice my poise until the Headmaster notices me!"

"Did you see the way he looked at me yesterday?"