Secrets We Keep: Chapter Five

It's my tree, Credence thought.

She was running through the purple woods, manic anticipation spurring her wild search.

The Queen is here.

The sound of footsteps stopped her. She turned just in time to see John step from behind a thick, red trunk.

"Having a nice run?" he asked with a tinge of bitterness in his voice. He planted his cane on the ground with purposeful severity.

"You could have joined me," Credence bit back. "Unless something hinders you?"

John shot her a hateful glare. "It's time to eat."

"I have to find something first."

"It can wait."

Credence groaned. "It's nowhere near dinner yet."

"My master has deemed it time."

"Couldn't I miss it just this once? I don't mind going without food—"

"He gave you one rule, Credence, and it will be followed."

John pulled a length of rope from his pocket.

"You look like a cornered doe ready to run," he said. "What'll it be? I could use a good chase."

"You'll be easy to evade with only one good leg."

John took a domineering step towards her and his eyes flashed with savage anger.

"Go on then," he whispered. "Run. I'll tell him you fell from a tree when he asks about whatever I break on you."

She frowned and offered her wrists.

***

Now Credence was comfortable eating at her leisure. She hadn't noticed how hungry she was until she saw the food—

Time passed so quickly, she thought as she chewed.

She wanted to get it over with as soon as possible, so she could return to looking for the Queen.

The food was no less delicious for their third dinner.

It's the only thing I could get used to in this place, she mused to herself.

When the Collector joined her he appeared restless, and shifted in his chair while taking tentative bites of food. His finger tapped against the table.

"I must apologize," he said abruptly, bringing Credence out of her gluttonous reverie.

She raised an eyebrow at him.

"For what?"

"My appearance at the lake."

"Oh." She was keen to forget the encounter. "I'd rather not discuss it."

"And I'd rather make amends." There was an edge to his tone that bordered on hostility. In a move that seemed entirely out of character, the Collector ran his hand through his hair and blew an exasperated puff of air that ended in a low, annoyed grumble.

Had the incident at the lake upset him?

"It was ungentlemanly for me to appear when you were..."

"Bathing?" Credence finished for him.

"Yes. And even more improper that I idled. I should have left the instant I knew you...you were..."

"I was naked."

The Collector blushed. If he hadn't been a monster wrapped in flesh, Credence may have found the sight charming. She scoffed and turned back to her food.