Polite Society: Chapter Six

The caravan came to a halt near a squat building with a clay tile roof.

Hanging above its door was a sign that read, "Scrubbs' Holding", and beneath that sign stood a plump woman who looked oddly similar to the building behind her.

"Only one drop of red this hunt," the cart driver said to the woman. "Mostly runaways, but a few fresh ones."

"Fresh ones is trouble," the woman replied with a scowl, "but if I can't break 'em, who can?"

"She's only teasing," Rose whispered to Credence. "It's not her place to break anyone."

"Need a feedin' and a wash, if you kindly please," the driver answered the woman. "Auction's tonight, as you well know."

The woman snorted. "If any of 'em see it. Come on, we're ready inside."

The cart was opened, and its red-striped occupants ushered inside, into yet another single room with a packed dirt floor. There was considerably more space, and a decent fire in a small pit, along with several oil lamps that lit everything to a nice, calming ambiance—though the room retained just a little too much heat.

Everywhere in the towns must be stiflingly warm, Credence decided. It probably couldn't be helped.

Several washtubs full of sudsy water were scattered throughout the room, and just as many closed chests. There were a few tables and chairs and a handful of cots with gray pillows and blankets. Atop the tables were plates filled with bread and sausage, bowls with warm porridge, and pitchers of water. Compared to the fare offered before, it was a king's feast.

"What about the other colors," Credence asked Rose, "where will they go?"

"Dunno where they go. Don't care, really. This is good though, eh? Better than last night."

The plump woman took her place at the front of the room to address the crowd, and although she was short in stature, her voice boomed loud and clear.

"Look and listen 'ere!"

The room fell silent.

"Most faces I recognize—you, Charlie Whim!" She pointed to a tall boy with a pockmarked face. "This is your second time, ain't it? Got no more chances left for you, hah!"

She pointed to a girl younger than Credence.

"An' Missy Thred, I known your mam since she was younger'n you! It was me who pulled you out of her in the alley behind the butcher! After what she gave up for you—you oughta be ashamed for runnin' off!"

The woman scanned the faces to find one she didn't know, choosing a boy Credence thought looked unsettlingly like Josiah.

"Don't know you, child, wha's your name?"

The boy sniffed, recently finished with a good cry.

"Cary, mum."

" 'Cary, mum'? Who's your parents?" The boy shrugged and said nothing. "Well, you'll find more than mam's and da's where I send you!"

She cackled and many in the room joined her.

"Me next!" A young woman with severely matted red hair raised her hand in the air. "Who am I, Miss Scrubbs?"

The woman looked at the girl and scoffed.

"As if I wouldn't know the firehead of Jane Punch! Still got the smallest bumps in creation?"

"You'd pay a coin to see!" Jane teased and raised her shirt to show her chest.

The plump woman shook her head. "Guess even the lightest nut sags from the tree eventually! Gettin' a little old to be 'ere, best watch out they don't paint you orange next!"