Chapter 12

We just stare at the fence in awe. After a long pause of silence, I step forward.

"Grace! What the hell are you doing?" Faun says and try's to pull me back.

"Chill Faun, it's not like it's gunna kill me." I snap at him.

I brush his hand off my arm and then I take a deep breath. I tentatively put my hand on the fence. On the other side of it is where I'm most likely going to face my death. I am fighting back my tears. My family, Reb, Robin, Rom, dad, and mum. I may never see them again. I feel like a soldier going off to war. The only difference is that I have no idea why I'm being sent to my death.

Minutes pass, but it feels like hours. Then Leah breaks the silence. "We should be getting back."

I turn around and for some reason they are all staring at me.

"What?" I snap.

"Nothing. Are you coming?" Nichole asks.

"I'll be right behind you." I respond.

They all just nod and begin to walk away. I turn my attention to the fence. Well, not the fence. What's beyond it. It's a jungle. Many giant trees,bushes and other plants that I have no idea what the heck they are. A few animals are there. Most of them I don't know what they are.

Wow, I'm clueless!

Then Someone clears their throat behind me. I turn my head to see who it is.

Selena.

"You should get back." I say.

"Well, so should you." She responds.

"What?" I ask.

"Do you miss your family?" She asks me.

"What do you think?" I say gently.

"Yeah?" She guesses.

I just nod.

I sigh. "Ok what's wrong?"

"Only fifteen! Out of hundreds! Why would they do this to us?!" She cries.

I look down. There are way too many unanswered questions. I take a deep breath. "I made a promise, ya know?" I begin. She looks at me with this clueless face. "To Skandar. That I would make sure you wouldn't die."

I look at her. The clueless look has disappeared. Now it's just blank.

"Why?" She asks not looking directly at me.

"You mean so much to him. I can't imagine what he'd be like without you. He would be devastated." I explain.

"Are you two...." Selena starts but, I interrupt her.

"No! No, not like that." I say with a bit of a laugh.

"Oh."

"Let's get going." I say.

She nods and we walk back.

Sorry this chapter was really boring. I will try to make the next ones more exciting.

-Allison