XXVIII - Little Guy

"It's up to you if you want to go to the sea turtle thing tomorrow or not, Belly's gonna be there." His eyes light up at my comment. "But so is Cam, so she probably wont have eyes on you."

"Oh," He says. "I'll still go, in case she does look."

"Mkay." I nod. "Meet in the car tomorrow at 5:30?"

"Oh, I'm driving you?" He asks offended that I assumed.

"If we're going as this," I motion between us. "It makes sense that we'd ride together."

He huffs, "Fine, see you then." And shoves me out through the door.

I roll my eyes and walk into my room for bed.

Belly showed me a flyer for the protection project so I understand what we're gonna be doing.

***

"Jeremiah," I shake him. He groans in response. "Jeremiah." I say a little louder. He swats me away and continues snoring. "Jeremiah!" And with that his eyes finally peek open.

"What?" He asks annoyed.

"It's already 5:45, hurry up." I say.

"Why so early?" He whines and pulls the blankets over his face.

"We have the turtle thing in twenty minutes and it's down on the other side of the beach." I pull the covers off.

Of course Jeremiah sleeps in boxer shorts.

"Up!" I say impatiently.

He groans and rubs his eyes, taking his sweet time.

"Up!" I grab his warm arm and tug him up.

"I'm up." He argues and walks over to the closet.

He waits a moment before looking over at me, "Well, leave so I can change."

"Just wanted to make sure you weren't gonna go back to sleep. I'm leaving." I put my arms up in surrender and walk out to finish getting ready.

***

(Your outfit, but you're free to imagine your own)

***

I walk downstairs and put some almonds in my mouth before walking out to Jeremiah's car and starting it up so it'll heat up.

"There you are." He opens the driver side door and gets in next to me.

"Here I am." You mock surprise.

"Shut up." He quips and put the car in reverse.

You laugh lightly and do so. Someone's not a morning person.

He pauses, "Are you really wearing that?" He asks.

"Yeah? What d'you mean?" I squint.

He looks me up and down. "How many guys are gonna be there?"

"I dunno, probably not many. Guys don't seem to care much about the poor baby turtles." I punch his arm, "They won't even wake up on time for it."

He rolls his eyes and turns around in his seat before putting his arm on the back of my headrest so he can get a good look while reversing.

***

"Come on, we're gonna be late." I tug on his arm as we walk through the sand.

"I don't think the turtles mind." He scoffs through a laugh.

"They will if a bird comes and eats them." I raise my eyebrows.

He rolls his eyes and picks up the pace.

"Y/n, Jere, you came!" Belly smiles.

"Here we are!" I smile back.

"Right now Cam's helping Mr. Montgomery over there, since only a few people have the proper 'training' or whatever to pick 'em up." She giggles and motions her head in his direction.

"Fun," I walk over a little closer to the rest of the group.

"How long is this?" Jeremiah whispers in my ear.

I shove my elbow into his side lightly. "Like, two hours stop whining."

***

"Jeremiah, come here. Look at this little guy." I smile and point at a small turtle, probably the smallest one I've see all day.

He squats next to me to get a better look, "Dang, that thing is small." He says.

"It's so cute." I let out a small laugh.

"He's all on his own though, I don't think he's supposed to be over here. Let's go tell one of the leaders." He places his hand on the small of my back and walks me over to them.

"There's a, um, really small turtle over there by itself. Just thought we'd mention it so an eye could be kept on the little guy." Jeremiah says to one of the leaders.

"Thank you so much, it's a good thing somebody saw 'em before a predator did." She smiles and walks over to go get him.

"Mission accomplished." He smiles down at me.

I go to walk somewhere else on the beach, but he pulls me back by the waist and brings his mouth down to my ear. "Try looking a little less disgusted every time I interact with you." He whispers and then lets me go.