I - Mine

"SHOTGUN!" Belly yells.

"Yeah right!" I laugh and shove past her playfully into the front seat.

Steven's driving which is slightly terrifying. I will be crossing my fingers we make it to Cousins.

Belly and Mom are screaming Taylor Swift at the top of their lungs, not that I can blame them, while Steven and I play a very intense game of yellow car.

"Can we turn it do- OW- n please?" Steven asks the back of the car, flashing me a look that says 'you're gonna get it' for punching him mid sentence.

'yellow car' I mouth smugly.

"Yes. And on that note," Mom tells us all about how we need to be better this summer, to make it easier for everyone. I nod, Steven nods, Belly nods, it's obvious we're all done with the conversation, but Mom is admin about it.

"Alright Mom. Help out, lighten the work load." I say turning the music up.

***

"What's up?" A peppy voice asks. 

Jeremiah Fisher, the younger, more annoying brother.

He and my mom run into a hug followed by Steven.

I'm still in the car. I know what's about to happen so I'm unlacing my converse. 

Belly should be doing the same thing for a different reason, but with her new looks, she's all too eager to show them off. I laugh to myself a little, I remember what it was like to finally feel pretty in my own skin, I wanted the world to see just the same.

"Look who came back all grown up." Jeremiah exclaims. He sees it.

Every ounce of my attention is stripped, my eyes focus on him, Conrad. He's walking out of the house, towards all of us.

I swear he's walking in slow motion. And I swear 'Lover' is playing.

And there goes the awe, he's talking to Belly.

I look over, Lover actually is playing, the keys are still in.

"STEVEN!" I yell. 

"TURN OFF THE CAR!" I get out and throw the keys in his direction.

Mom groans but Susannah runs over and gives me the best hug in history.

"Oh, my gorgeous girl." She says during the hug. Compliments from Susannah are so heart-warming.

Con and I give an acknowledging head-nod since Steven's already started talking.

Come on Stevie help a girl out, I could've at least gotten a hug before you started yapping.

"BELLY FLOP" The boys yell.

I follow as they throw Belly into the pool laughing. It's honestly a really cute thing they do every year, even if she hates it.

"Ow, guys I think I twisted my ankle." Belly reaches a hand out for assistance.

Conrad grabs her hand and before I can blink, he's in the water too. She is all over him and summer started five seconds ago.

I wipe whatever look was on my face off, it not a big deal, she's just messing around.

Steven is totally oblivious when I tag his shoulder and start running.

"SHIT!" He shouts running behind me.

I kick the unlaced converse off my feet and run upstairs to the good room.

Steven and I have to fight over these two rooms every summer. One has it's own bathroom, the other is right next to the communal bathroom. You get which one is the good one..

As kids, he and I just shared a room, like most twins would. But as we grew up there was no way in the world we were sharing all summer.

Thus it became a fend for yourself.

"NO SHOES UPSTAIRS!" I laugh evilly, running up the steps.

Steven catches up quick despite having to take off his sneakers, we are shoving and tripping each other on the way to the good room. But, thanks to the head start, it was a no-brainer I was getting the room.

I jump onto the bed and sigh victoriously.

"Next year." He points a finger at me.