II - Deb Scene

"Just this year," I hear through the closed door. "Pleeeaasssee." He begs, rhythmically banging on my door.

"No Steven."

"But I need the good room this year, think about all the chicks I could get."

"Right, all the chicks a connected bathroom is going to help you pull."

Unpacking my stuff could not be any less fun, especially with the grown baby whining outside my door. But I know I'll thank myself later.

"DINNER!" I hear Belly from down the stairs.

Steven's feet shuffle quickly and just like that their is no longer a person outside my door. I walk down and just about everyone is sat, you'd think these people hadn't eaten for days.

***

"Steven, I swear to God, if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket." Mom threatens

"It's just, we want to see your beautiful faces. Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know, like the olden days." Susannah adds.

Steven and Jeremiah direct their attention away from the screen, thank God, one more bro laugh and I would've stabbed myself with the fork.

Jeremiah grabs the phone out of Steven's hands and shoots it across the room into said screen basket. 

"Dude, are you kidding me?" He complains.

"Boom! Nailed it." Jeremiah overlaps, with a very obnoxious flexing of his muscles.

"Okay, we get it. You've been working out." Steven shuts him down.

Thank you Stevie.

"You're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you." Belly says.

Hold up. You're just gonna act like that didn't just come out of Ms.15yearsold's mouth. I glance at my mom who is actually trying to hide a smile. Okay, point Bells.

"Uh, no. Actually, it's all about the lean look now. Otherwise you can't wear tailored suits." Steven rebuttals.

"Tailored suits." Conrad mocks under his breath with a smile.

"Where are you going to get a tailored suit, and better yet what are you going to need one for?" I ask.

"Places, and.. things." He stutters.

"Places and things." Conrad mocks again.

The tables laughs.

"When are you leaving for training camp, man?" Steven asks, changing the subject.

"Uh, he quit football." Jeremiah answers.

Conrad? All-star, golden-boy Conrad Fisher quitting football? No way.

"W- wait you quit?" Steven doubles.

Conrad just nods with a light mmhm.

"What are you kidding man? I'd kill to play college ball."

Yeah, Conrad would've too. What is up with that? 

"He can always change his mind." Susannah lightens.

"I'm not gonna change my mind." His response was too quick.

The silence quickly became chatter as everyone started talking about summer plans.

"Oh girls! I almost forgot. I have something for you." Susannah smiles.

She comes back out with two envelopes. Signed 'Cousins Debutante Ball'. 

No no no no.

"A debutante?" I question.

"Is that the thing where the girls wear the white dresses and curtsy?" Belly asks.

"It's when a girl comes of age and is presented to society. I know it sounds silly but I swear it's fun! Girls come from all over New England to Cousins just to be apart of it. You'll make so many new friends." Susannah tries to wrangle us in.

"How come Belly and I are 'coming of age' at two different ages?" Why was this the first year I got one, not that I wanted to do it but still. Belly's like two and a half years younger.

"I know you y/n, this isn't something you'd do alone." Susannah smiles lightly.

I grumble, she isn't wrong.

Susannah keeps talking up the whole deb thing until Conrad cuts her off, "The whole deb scene is bullshit. It's for sheep."

Jeremiah agrees.

"No it's not. It's when a girl has a coming out, it's a formal recognition she's reached maturity."

Steven and Jeremiah snort at the same time.

"Belly, mature?" Steven asks.

"Y/n, mature?" Jeremiah asks.

I swear it's like they planned to say it at the same time.

I shoot Jeremiah a glare. "Ha ha. Very funny Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dumb." 

"I'll think about it." Belly and I say at the same time. I stop Steven and Jeremiah with a look before they can even think on commenting on our unison as well.

"They'll think about it!" Susannah cheers to Mom.