09.

Last Summer

I sat on the floor between Everett's legs, my back against his chest as he took a towel through my dripping hair. He tugged and I winced, grabbing his hand with a laugh.

"Not like that," I said. I took his hand in mine, pushing his hand upwards towards my hair in a scrunching motion. "Like this. You'll pull my hair out and destroy my curls if you keep that up."

He laughed, continuing the scrunching motion with the towel.

"You know, the last time I went to a beach before I met you was when I was, like, five years old?" he asked suddenly. I blinked, shifting to look at him with wide eyes. He nodded. "Yeah, it was with my mom. Now it's like I'm there every day."

"Do you like it?" I asked.

His grin widened. "I love it."

I smiled, satisfied with his answer, and leaned back against his chest. It felt nice knowing I'd changed a part of him, that he'd leave Shellside Bay, but it would never leave him. Not anymore. No matter how far he went, he'd always have a piece of Isla with him. And me. He was stuck with me now.

He continued drying my hair for a moment before leaning forward, pressing a kiss to my cheek. I warmed, turning my head to face him with a coy smile.

"What was that for?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I just wanted to kiss you."

"Oh?" I lifted a brow, slowly leaning towards him. "Then kiss me."

And he did.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

I woke up with the sheets bunched around my thighs and Everett sleeping half-naked beside me.

My first thought when I opened my eyes was to reach for my phone and text him good morning, until I stilled and realised his warm body was beside me, dipping the mattress sideways. I shifted onto my side and there he was. It hadn't been a dream.

A soft breath left my lips and I stared at him, silent. When was the last time I'd woken up beside him? How long would this moment last?

I wanted it to last forever.

I reached up, my fingers reaching for his hair. Looking at him this closely, I could see how long it had really grown, how dark it had turned. I could almost remember how light it was during the summer. I wondered if I could change it in the few weeks he'd be staying here—lighten it back to that almost toffee colour. Bring the freckles back to his cheeks.

No, we'd have to go to Isla for that.

Isla was where it had all began—where I'd first seen the lightness of his eyes, the curve of his smile. Sydney was hopes, and bustle, and food other than the one McDonald's and Boost Juice of Shellside Bay, but IslaIsla was sunshine, crystal water, hot sand and sea foam that kissed your ankles.

Isla was an escape. It was what I was used to, where I'd grown up. On Isla, Everett and I were splashes in the lagoon and late walks on the shore. We were tumbles in the sand and sea salt kisses on his bed.

Sydney was the complete opposite. What would we be here? Coffee runs? Café dates? Train rides and fancy restaurants? I didn't know what to expect.

"Are you checking me out?"

Everett's eyes blinked open, his voice coming out thick and raspy with sleep. I laughed, pushing my fingers through his hair. He caught my wrist, pulling my knuckles to his lips.