04.

Last Summer

It was the last bonfire party of Shellside Bay before everyone was off to their futures.

Half of the graduating class would be staying in Shellside Bay indefinitely, taking over family businesses or jumping straight into working fulltime. The other half were mostly scattered off to different cities, secured into whatever universities and colleges would take them.

This was our final chance at one of our iconic bonfire parties—the last until nobody knew when.

We were intent on making the most of it.

Everyone had shown up. The entire graduating class, plus extras. Tourists, cousins, older graduates, younger grades. It was the entire young population of the town—plus some.

Everett's arm was thrown over my shoulder.

It was hot. The air was thick with sweat and heat. I couldn't tell the hot summer air apart from my panting breath. Apart from Everett's panting breath.

He leaned his face close to mine; not to kiss me or anything. He just smiled there, swaying tipsily as we danced to the music. I couldn't even make out the words over the sound of the waves and my heart in my ears.

I kissed him first.

I leaned up, pressing my lips to his—hard. Like reminding myself that he was here. That we were both here. And the bonfire beside us was real.

That this was all real, at least for now.

And now was all we had.

When I pulled back, he was grinning at me.

He leaned in close, his lips brushing over the skin of my neck. I didn't even think about the sweat that must have coated my skin, hot from the summer air and the heat of my hair sticking to my neck. Everett had learned every part of me now.

His lips moved higher, sliding over my ear.

"I think we should get out of here," he muttered.

I giggled. The alcohol was turning my bones fuzzy. "Where would we go? Your room?"

He shook his head. "My grandma would see us. Yours?"

"My mum..."

An idea struck me. I giggled again, grabbing his hand.

"Follow me."

We slipped away from the bonfire party, tripping over our own feet and the sand until the fire was a dot in the dark. We found our way across the beach off of muscle memory and the moonlight until we'd reached our destination.

"The Shack?"

"Tomorrow's a public holiday, they'll be closed all day," I replied. It took me three tries to unlock the door and let us in.

We collapsed on the floor, sighing in relief at the cold air that had been trapped inside the Shack, despite the heat that surrounded it outside. Sand stuck to my skin. I wondered if I'd taste like salt if Everett kissed me now. Salt mixed with tequila. The thought made me laugh.

Everett's side was pressed against mine. The ocean sounded far away from in here. It was muffled, like listening through a pair of headphones. There, and not there, at the same time.

He rolled over to look at me. Even lying down, the room seemed to sway a little. I was definitely tipsy at this point. We both were.

His hand lifted, tracing a path over the side of my face.