Prologue

"Dad, please! You just got back. Why are you leaving again?"

Hot tears stream down my cheeks as I beg my father to stay. Soon after my mother died my dad, Pete Mitchell, threw himself into his work. I understood why. We all grieve differently. But now it's been two years since her death. Two years that I've been alone in this house. 

"I can't do this right now Selene. I have to go."

He starts making his way to the door, his bag thrown over his shoulder. I rush in front of him, blocking his path. I put my hands up.

"Dad why won't you stay?" My voice is hoarse, breaking. My eyes plead with him but he doesn't even look in my direction, keeping his gaze on the wall to his right. His face is stone cold, so unlike the father I grew up with. 

Without looking at me he answers. "I can't be in this house. I can't be around you when you're the spitting image of your mother. I have to go." He pushes past me and is out the door. As I listen to his bike's engine turn on and fade in the distance I fall to the floor. 

Sobs wrack my body as I hug myself. Two years. My mom died when I was 14 from a car accident. Ever since he hasn't even been able to look at me. I'm 16 now, but feel like I've aged 20 years since her death. I'm alone.

My tears dry up as my sadness turns to anger. I'm tired of begging him to stay.

 I don't need him.

 I don't need anyone.