Light of a Four Leaf Clover

Yuno hated winter.

He always has. Winter meant less warmth, less food, less freedom. It was always dark, sun hiding behind grey clouds or muted out by falling snow.

He hated the cold and dreary nights most of all.

The world would fall silent in it's darkness with only the hissing and whipping winds to greet his ears. That and the walls of the church creaking and moaning against the harsh storms.

He hated the wind, hated the sound it made.

Yuno would toss and turn all night long, hands tightly pressed against his ears.

And every winter night without fail a small hand would land on his shoulders.

He'd look up and be greeted with emerald eyes that sung of spring.

"It's okay Yuno," a smile that reminded him of sunlight "I'm here."

xXx

Asta was screaming.

Screaming.

Not in rage, not in fury, not out of hatred but out of sheer and utter agony.

Pain. He was in pain.

Pain that made the curse's voice quiver and cower in a way Yuno had never heard before and one he never wanted to hear again.

"You poor thing." the voice from before spoke.

Yuno forced his shell shocked gaze off of his writhing brother and up to the source. He found himself staring at a man, one who's appearance could almost be described as holy. Dressed in white and gold, crowned with a delicate head ornament and cascaded in light.

Yuno could sense mana flowing from him like a tidal wave, intense yet airy and light. He had more magic power then anyone he'd faced before, perhaps enough to rival that of the Wizard King.

And in front of him.

Was a four leaf grimoire.

"I pity you child," he spoke again, paying attention to Asta "to be turned into a monster by the one you loved the most. Fate can truly be cruel."

Asta cried out again, his back pulsating with anti mana that slowly worked their way up the spikes of light embedded into his ghostly flesh, eating away at them and eroding them to nothing.

The cursed hacked, black bile spilling from his throat before shaky limbs gave way.

For the first time Yuno notices that-clutched within the man's arms is the gel mage from before. He only realizes this because he shifts the girl in his grip so that he may raise one of his hands, more spikes of light following.

"I will grant you mercy," his voice sounds so genuine, "and end your suffering."

Asta coughs again and moans, tilting his head to the side, eyes falling shut.

"No." His voice is just a whisper, he can't make himself move.

"It is time for you to rest."

That's all Yuno had ever wanted. Everything he did was for Asta's sake, so he could find a way to free him from his curse and just finally rest.

And yet, as he watches those needles poised to strike his brother down he is overwhelmed with such a fear it blocks out his sight for a moment.

"STOP IT!"

He wants Asta to rest but killing him twice is not the way he wants to do it. 

His wind magic mingles with the light mages, it manages to hold the spell back but does not do any damage to the caster himself.