Birds and Dungeons

Magna and Noelle are silent.

At the moment there's nothing they can say that would make this better.

They sit by Yuno's door, unsure whether they should remain here in case the wind mage finds the strength to seek comfort from them or leave him be.

Magna and Noelle are on either side of the wooden door, the former has his legs splayed out while the later has her knees tucked up to her chin.

They both scowl.

They had thought they knew what cruelty looked like but the hand Yuno had been dealt...it was beyond unfair.

For the two months they had known Yuno, the boy had proven to be nothing but selfless and kind. He put the needs of friends and complete strangers far above his own, baring his curse with courage and keeping it tied to a tight leash. Even if his grip fumbled every once and awhile he had held out for far longer then anyone else ever could have.

"It's not fair," Noelle mutters into her knees "we're just kids...Asta was just a kid...why did that have to happen?"

Magna looks up to the ceiling with a sigh "bad things happen to good people." He takes his glasses off and rubs his eyes "this world really needs to learn to treat its best people better."

"How is this fair?"

"It isn't."

...

It falls silent once more.

xXx

Yuno isn't sure when he manages to push himself out of bed and wonder into the common room. The only thing he knows is that Asta is edging him on, gently hovering behind him and huffing cold air onto the back of his ear whenever his feet still.

He pauses when he hears commotion.

"You little thief!"

He peaks around the corner and sees Magna throwing fire balls at Luck.

The lightning mage laughs in joy and dodges with ease, clutched within his hand is one of Magna's flan cups.

"Would you two knock it off!" Noelle shouts, aiming her wand and trying to strike the boys "you're making a mess!"

Noelle proceeds to make said mess even worse.

He isn't aware of the small laugh building in his throat before it falls free.

Everything just so weirdly normal...it's like nothing has happened and for some reason that brings him enough relief to laugh.

Until the group stills and looks towards him.

Yuno immediately stiffens under their gaze, waiting for them to react to what the all must now know, to say something, to ask questions.

"That's the cutest thing I've ever seen!"

That is not what he expects Noelle to say.

There's two chirps from atop his head.

Yuno glances up in confusion.

It's that damn anti bird again he realizes with a start. It's settled into his hair like some kind of nest and he hadn't even noticed.

Yuno yelps and shakes his head dislodging the bird from its perch. It flutters around the room, hovering for a moment in front of Noelle who coos in cuteness before circling back to land on Yuno's head.