1: A New Beginning

6 months later.

It's been six months since I brought Elinor home. My instinct then told me not to trust my mother. It was right.

My mom didn't change. In fact, she got worse. She tried so hard to hurt Elinor, but I wouldn't let her. I started fighting back.

It's the summer before my senior year of highschool. I decided that I'm going to work two jobs so that I can get my own place with Elinor. I want to move as far away from my mother as possible.

I just got off work, and parked my car in the parking lot of the daycare that I send Elinor to while I work. I don't have any friends anymore, and I don't trust my mother with her. It isn't ideal, but it's only for a few hours a day.

I walk into the building and see my baby.
"Da da!" She says in her cute little happy voice. I smile at her and pick her up. I take her with me to the counter and sign her out. (I don't know if you're supposed to sign them in or out so just go with it)

She starts babbling to me as I walk to the car with her on my hip. When we get to the car, I buckle her in her car seat, get in the drivers side and take off back home.

I was really tired from working 2 jobs. The only thing I wanted to do was go home, cuddle with Elinor, and sleep. But, I knew that wasn't going to happen. I could never just go home and sleep.

I parked the car down the street from my mothers home and got Elinor out of the car. With her on my hip, I walked to the house and braced myself for what was to come.

When I opened the door, nothing happened. My mother wasn't there throwing something at my head, or trying to take Elinor from me for what she called "a little fun."

I was greeted by the usual mess that was the living room; empty beer bottles, trash all over the floor and table, cigarettes, but no sign of my mother.

I sighed and went up to my room with Elinor. We weren't rich by any means. And I spent all of my money on Elinor. I never bought anything for myself. My bed was a mattress on the floor. It had an old sheet on it, a few pillows without pillowcases, and an old comforter. It wasn't the best, but it got the job done. Besides, I was more worried about Elinor's well being than my own.

Elinor had her own bed. It wasn't the best either. It was a small bassinet. No actual crib because I couldn't afford it. She slept with me most of the time anyways.

I layed down on the bed with Elinor. I was exhausted. I listened as Elinor babbled to me, probably telling me about her day.

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. I got up off the mattress and pick up Elinor and put her on my hip. She was still babbling and I was humming along to what she was babbling about.

Once I reached the front door, I held Elinor in a protective manner and opened the door, excepting my mother who was most likely drunk or one of her boy toys she brought home. However, I wasn't expecting a man in a black suit on the other end of the door.

He was tall and had huge muscles. His expression was cold, however, his eyes held a softness to them that I haven't seen since I was five.

He looked me up and down, then turned his attention to Elinor. I held her even closer.

He began to speak, "I've been looking for you for 12 years."

I looked at him suspiciously, when it suddenly hit me. This was my eldest brother. This was Hendrix. This knowledge made me step back a bit and hold Elinor even closer to my chest. I didn't trust him.

"Why are you here?!" I spat angrily. He didn't like that very much, because his eyes hardened as he looked at me then back down at Elinor.

"I'm here to take you home. Your mother called me and told me where you were. She never mentioned anything about a baby though" he said, still looking at Elinor. I pulled her closer, if that was even possible.

"She's YOUR mother too you know. And I'm not going with you. I don't trust you. Not after the last time I saw you." I spat.

It was true that I didn't remember much from my time with my father and brothers, but I do remember the last time I saw them like it was yesterday.

He didn't say anything, but the look he had in his eyes was sadness and guilt. He began speaking again.

"I know you probably don't trust us, but I promise all we want is for you to be safe. We want our little brother back. I have taken custody of you, so you have no choice but to come back with me."

I thought about his words. It'll be a new start away from here. I didn't have to trust them or forgive them, but I could give Elinor a new place to live that wasn't here. It was nicer, I knew that. And I knew my brothers wouldn't hurt us.

"Fine, but this doesn't mean I trust or forgive you. I'm not doing this for you either." I replied while looking down at a sleeping Elinor. I guess she had a long day too.

"Great. I already know about how you were treated and I'm really sorry that I wasn't there to stop it. I want you to be able to trust us and forgive us, but I know that'll take time. I'm willing to wait as long as it takes." He said.

I nodded and opened the door for him to enter the house since he was still out on the front porch.

He walked into the living room and looked around. His eyes hardened once they saw the state of the living room.

"I'm going to go get our stuff packed" I said then walked to my bedroom with a sleeping Elinor still in my arms.

I layed Elinor down in her bassinet while I got to work packing. I packed the little clothes I had, and all of Elinor's things. She didn't have very much, but it was more than I had. But I didn't mind. She was my first priority. I only got myself what was needed.

I picked up Elinor and headed back downstairs with the bag that had both of our things in it. Hendrix looked at me then the one bag that was on my shoulder and said "is that it?"

I nodded. I didn't want to speak to him anymore than I needed to. I wanted to get our stuff and get out of here.

"Alright, well we should get going." Hendrix led us to his car, but I stopped and told him "I'm taking my car, it has a car seat in it."

Truthfully I just didn't want to ride in the same car with him. Plus, I wasn't about to put Elinor in danger.

"We can take it out and put it-"
I cut him off by saying, "I bought that car with my own money. I'm not leaving it here. I'm not going to drive away either. I have no where to go."

Hendrix sighed. "Fine. I'll have the other cars with the security be behind you and you can follow me."

I nodded and walked a couple houses down to my car. I put a sleeping Elinor in her car seat and kissed her forehead before buckling her in. I went around the car and got in the drivers seat.

A few hours later, we arrived at the mansion. I looked through the rear view mirror and see Elinor still sleeping. Good. I didn't want anyone to ask any questions today. I wanted to lay down and sleep.

I got out of the car and grabbed Elinor. I followed Hendrix inside and instantly felt the memories come back. This was my home when I was a kid, and now it's my home again. Except this time I'm not a kid and I have one of my own.

Hendrix showed me to my room and told me that dinner will be ready soon. I nodded and layed down on the bed with Elinor, and closed my eyes for my much needed sleep.