12: Custody Battle

I had decided then and there that if it was Elinor they wanted, I wasn't going down without a fight.

There was no legal agreement decided by the court, and I was scared of taking Amber to court over custody of Elinor, but if that's what needed to be done, then so be it. I knew I had my brothers support. They would help me with this as much as they could.

I knew that without them, if I tried to take Amber to court, they would most likely take her side. I'd seen it happen before with me. I didn't want to take that risk.

The only difference though, was that this time my brothers were older and held more power. They were sure to help me with this. After all, the Sterlings took family very seriously. We put our family over everything.

So, Amber and her parents decided to proceed with court, which I wasn't happy about, but was expecting.

With my brothers being in the mafia, they had connections. They were also terrifying business men with reputations that made them well known and respected.

They had reassured me that Amber wasn't going to get Elinor. Actually, they were very confident, which was reassuring.

___
Time skip
___

I came home from school, and had Hendrix help me with finding a good lawyer. I had reason to believe that he's had experience with lawyers in the past.

Amber and I had been through the steps that led to this. We went to a mediator to try and come to an agreement (it was required— and I was stubborn), and now here we are, at the last step.

The judge has officially issued a court order, so now we were proceeding with the custody battle.

We went through everything in the courtroom. It felt like my life was being put on display for the world to see. I couldn't really tell which side the judge was on.

Finally after waiting for what felt like an eternity, the battle was over and judge had made their decision.

They had decided that I would be the main guardian, however, Amber was granted visitation if she wished to take it. Also, we needed to split holidays and birthdays (which I wasn't too happy about).

Ambers parents looked furious about losing, but I would fight tooth and nail to make sure that they don't have any control over my child.

I had lived with them briefly when Amber was pregnant, and it wasn't pleasant. They are manipulative, and narcissistic. Not something I want my child involved in.

The judge had said that since Amber hadn't been in Elinor's life thus far, it was only fair that she had the right to be if she so pleased since she hasn't done anything to get her rights taken away.

I think not being in her daughters life for six almost seven months is enough reason for her to never see Ellie again. But, maybe that's me being selfish.

As I was talking to Hendrix, Amber's parents approached me. I wondered if they knew or suspected that my brothers were the leaders of a mafia.

James scowled at me as him and his wife stopped in front of me, rudely interrupting the conversation I was having. Hendrix glared at him.

James leaned in close to me and whispered, "you may have the child now, but I promise you, we will do everything in our power to get it away from you. You will regret ever crossing me. We will have the kid one way or another."

Before I could even blink, he grabbed his wife's hand, and walked away from us.

Hendrix, who I'm guessing heard everything James said from his position next to me, had steam coming from his ears. To say he was outraged would be an understatement.

"He had the audacity to threaten you and Ellie, and in court no less. 'You will regret ever crossing me.' I guess he doesn't know who I am, because he's gonna be the one who regrets crossing a Sterling." Hendrix angrily mocked to himself.

I was also furious. But this confirmed it.

The Roux's, especially James, wouldn't stop until they had Elinor.