10

You told me not to think

Tails opened her eyes and not very far from her was Maverick. As she sat up, and untangle herself from the parachute, she felt pain in her shoulder. She gasped in pain, Maverick opened his eyes seeing Tails was there untangling herself.

Maverick thought back on his adventures with her parents, especially her mother. He had many but he couldn't help but to think back on this one.

........

"Maverick, are you alright?" Maverick heard River asked him as she cut herself from the ropes after her plane crashed after she took down the plane that went after Maverick. "River, you shouldn't be here, you have little girl to get back to." Maverick stated to the woman.

River stopped and looked at him. "I know I do, Serenity, I am all she has left, Besides his mother, I am also all that Bradley has left beside you. But I can't give up Pete, my husband would be disappointed and I can't fail those two little ones." River explained as she got up and helped Maverick get out of the mess he was in.

"Would you be proud of them both if they became pilots?" Maverick asked her and she froze. River had been hesitant since losing Dodger not to long ago because she fear the same would happen to either Serenity or Bradley, but she can't stop Bradley and Serenity from becoming pilots, River has always stated that she support whatever the choose to be in life when they got older.

"Yes, I would warn them both that... this duty and this type of career is dangerous, but I would hundred percent support them both., hell if they become couple when their older, I won't be shocked." River stated which Maverick chuckled a bit knowing that two were very close.

"But whatever happens to me Maverick, no matter what, always be there for my Serenity, I don't what she would do if something happened to me, but please." River asked of him. He nodded.

When she heard that Maverick pulled Bradley's papers from the academy, she was disappointed in him but in ways. she understood why he did it, Maverick was only protecting him.

Maverick had visited River two weeks before she passed. She was in bad shape but she needed Maverick to keep her a promise. That promise was for him to keep an eye on Serenity and make sure her and Bradley don't do anything stupid.

Then Maverick got the call that she passed away which crushed him. When he saw Serenity at the service. She was completely shattered and drain, but he knew she was going to bounce back from this, which she did.

Maverick knew how protective Serenity is when it comes to her parents. He saw it when she confronted Hangman but when he sees Serenity.... he sees Stella in her.... the boldness and the courage to try anything .... both Stella and Howard would be proud of their Serenity with how far she has come as a pilot, just like Goose would proud of Bradley. 

................

Maverick sat up which caught the attention of the woman. "Maverick, are you alright?" Tails asked him. "I'm fine, are you?" He asked her. "Other then the pain in my shoulder, I'm doing fantastic." Tails replied with a slight smile. "When we get back, your getting that shoulder looked at ." He answered back. "Of course, but question now is, how?" Tails said as she managed to get herself untangled then she got up and went to help Maverick get out of the mess he was in.

She helped him get out of the mess, then she gasped when she saw in a distance the enemy's helicopter. "Maverick, we need to go, quick." Tails whispered, he looked over and saw the helicopter. He grabbed Tails and they ran for it as the helicopter began firing. They quickly made it behind the wall and duck. Tails had hissed as she felt pain in her shoulder. 

Before things escalated any further, the helicopter was blown to shreds by Rooster. Tails sighed in relief when she saw Rooster's plane. Unfortunately his plane get taken down, Tails and Maverick saw him heading into the trees which Tails and Maverick ran for it. Despite how much pain her shoulder was causing her, both Tails and Maverick tracked him down and thankfully, he gotten out of the crash unscathed. 

Both of them find him cutting away from his parachute. "You alright?" Maverick called out after him and Tails reached Rooster. "Yeah.." He responded. Then he was shocked and confused when Maverick pushes him into the snow. Tails shook her head and said "Yeah.. I saw that coming." 

"What the hell?!?" Rooster yells as he threw his helmet off as Maverick threw off his. "What are you doing here?" Maverick questioned him. "What am I doing here?" Rooster questions him. "Serenity and I took those missiles, so you can be down here with Serenity and I, You should be back on the carrier by now!" Maverick shouted at him.

"I saved yours and Serenity's life!" Rooster yelled back. "We saved your life, that's the whole point, what the hell were you even thinking?" Maverick questioned him. "You told me not to think!" Rooster yelled back. Serenity kicked the snow, as Rooster rose his hands up at Maverick. "You know... you did tell him that." Serenity said as Maverick looked back at her. She rubbed her injured shoulder as she tried not to think about the pain that was shooting up it right now. "You alright Serenity?" Rooster asked her concernedly. "It's my shoulder, it hurts the pain just keeps coming." She said, which caused Rooster and Maverick grew more concerned.

"I don't think it's popped out of place but I have a feeling it's might be fractured from the crash but I am fine for now, I can tolerate the pain." Tails explained. "Now how in the hell are we going to get back?" Tails added. They all stood in silence then both Rooster and Tails saw the signature look on his face. "I have an idea."Maverick stated simply before walking off. Rooster and Tails gave each other a look before following him.

......