Chapter 12

Grayson

I still didn't even crack a smile. She probably thinks I'm not capable of smiling. But hers, it would make any man fall to his knees. The way her brown eyes seem to sparkle just a bit, and it gives her this care-free kind of vibe. And we talked. I must admit it felt nice to talk to someone for once, even if it was about hamsters named Olly. Owen was someone I hadn't seen since the first day of school, but I've probably walked past him and didn't realize it. I don't usually pay attention to the people around me, which is a bad habit, but I do pay attention to Wren. She's the only person who seems to catch my eye. It could've been her unruly black hair or the laid-back persona she gives off. In my opinion only people who are laid-back own hamsters since they die in such an odd way.

As I headed to the student parking lot I heard someone calling my name, but I couldn't tell who it was. But then I saw a boy in a plaid shirt and black jeans headed my way. Owen.

"You've been hiding out from me man," he laughed as he approached me.

"I don't live on campus, so it's really been me showing up for classes and going home once they're all over," I explained.

"No need to explain yourself. What you do outside of classes is what you do. I'm just glad I caught you though. What's your number?"

I looked at him and raised an eyebrow from his directiveness.

"My number? You want my number?" I asked slowly, just to ensure that I had processed what he said.

"Yeah, that's what I said. It's hard to find you and I want to hang out," he responded.

"I guess that's fine."

Pulling my phone out of my pocket and handed it to him. His fingers swiftly moved across the screen, and I heard my phone go off signaling that I had received a text.

"It's just me," he informed me. "I sent a text so you'd know it's me."

I nodded and took my phone, placing it in my pocket. "You know part of me though I'd never see you again given how large the campus is and that I didn't have your number."

"Is this the beginning of our bromance?" he joked tossing his arm over my shoulder. "Cause I'm all for it."

I chuckled at his ridiculous statement and moved his arm off my shoulder. "Friendship maybe, but a bromance? I don't know."

"Eh, potato patato they're the same thing. What are you doing this weekend? We should hang out."

"I'd have to see what my parents have in store for the weekend before I can sell myself on any plans. I'll text you if I'm going to be available."

"You better or else I'll have no choice but to hunt you down," he smirked.

Is he secretly psychotic or something? Or into me and I just don't know it? No, I'm definitely overthinking this whole thing. This is what I get for being the son of a famous movie director. All my friends wound up being phony and they only called themselves my friends because of all the "perks" that came with it. Meeting my father being the biggest one.

"Good luck with that one," I said as I headed to my car.

My head was full. I had a full conversation with two people today. Part of me wondered if Wren and Owen knew each other, but if they did then I'd see them together. Together. The thought of Owen being anywhere near Wren made my stomach turn, and not in a good way either. I know I'm overthinking it, but there's a small chance that they could know each other, or Owen may have a thing for Wren. Just knowing that anyone could have a thing for Wren made me sick to my stomach.

But it's not my place. She barely knows me, and I barely know her aside from what we talked about today. But it's enough to say I know her. I know of her, who she is on the outer surface, not who she is deep down. What scares her, what makes her excited. Hell, what conspiracies keep her up at night. Then again, those are just a few things that I wouldn't mind learning about her.

When I arrived home neither of my parents were home, just as I suspected. Kicking off my shoes at the front door, I ended up heading to the kitchen and saw a sticky note on the fridge.

"Heading to L.A for a couple of days dinner for the next two nights is in the fridge. We love you.

-Mom and Dad"

I crumpled the note and tossed in the trash. Dinner wasn't going to be anything but ramen from that Japanese restaurant I don't like, but they don't know that. I haven't eaten there since I was thirteen but as time went on I began to hate the place. Sometimes it feels like my parents don't know anything about me, especially my father. At least my mother tried to be part of my life all those years ago.

It would be a good time to invite Owen over. No parents to ruin things because that's exactly what would happen. Yes, my parents are aware WSU isn't a private school solely to educate rich kids like me, but they'd talk so much shit about Owen. Same goes for anyone who you can't do a Google search on and find their entire life in two seconds flat. It would most likely take a deep dive on Google to find him.

I wanted to text Wren more than I wanted to text Owen. The offer of hanging out on more common and public ground was an offer I didn't want to turn down. I wasn't sure what she'd like or where she'd want to go. There isn't much to do here in my opinion, and I doubt she'd be keen on the idea of taking a jet to L.A. for the night. Maybe it would be better just to invite Owen over.
Grayson: My parents ditched me once again and have left me to fend for myself for a couple of days. Want to come over?

I waited about a minute before I got a message saying sure with a smiley face emoji. My thumbs typed my address into a new message and once it sent I immediately became anxious. This was the first time in awhile that I'd be having someone over. And although Owen's intentions seem pure, I feel the need to be on high alert for the duration of this hangout.