Chapter 4

Wren

Fun fact about my roommate is that she's an early bird. Monica opted for all morning classes, her first starting at eight in the morning, so guaranteed by seven o'clock her alarm was ringing on the other side of the room. I'll never be able to understand how people can manage to have a class so early, especially on Mondays. Even though mine starts at nine-thirty, there's no way I should be lying awake right now. I'd officially give anything to be back at my father's house sleeping in without having to worry about being late for school.

Monica did her best to get ready as quietly as she could, but I was already awake and once I'm up there's no going back to bed. I tossed the covers off my body and decided to get a head start on my day.

"Sorry if I woke you. I'm a heavy sleeper and if my alarm isn't on the loudest volume possible I'll sleep right through it," she explained.

"It's alright," I responded knowing that was a lie. "I probably should get up anyways, so I'll have time to eat and find my way around campus."

We didn't say anything else to each other until she was getting ready to leave. We said our goodbyes and I now had the room to myself. Grabbing the bag of hamster food that was stored under my bed, I padded over towards Olly's cage to greet him.

"Good morning Olly," I cooed as I opened his cage.

He immediately shot up from under his bedding at the sound of the cage being opened. I grabbed the plastic yellow bowl and scooped up some food, then placed it back in his cage. He looked at me with narrow, beady eyes like I had fed another hamster before him.

"Don't even give me that look mister, I'm not cheating on you with another hamster," I informed him placing a hand in the cage.

His little nose rubbed against my hand as I let him sniff me, praying he wouldn't bite me. I stayed like this for a few minutes until he got bored and began to run on his wheel. I locked the door to his cage and grabbed my key so I could go wash my hands and get my day started. The floor was busy as other girls were either getting ready for their morning classes or running out of their rooms as they realized how late they were. I was lucky enough to get a vacant sink considering how many girls are up this early. In and out of the bathroom within ten minutes I headed back to my room to get dressed. It was a little warm today, so I opted for a pair of grey biker shorts and a black pullover hoodie with the word "peace" printed across the chest since my arms get colder than my legs. My hair was going to be the difficult part.

Placing my products on the counter, I stepped in front of the mirror and sprayed a little bit of water on my hair. It was extremely tangled from me not putting it in braids last night and not wearing my bonnet. It took about ten minutes of tugging and pulling before it was fully combed out and sitting as an afro. From there I split it down the middle to put it into two buns since it was an easy style, and it kept my hair out of my face. I gave myself a small, satisfied smile as I stared at myself in the mirror. First day as a freshman in college and that nervous feeling people sometimes have wasn't there at all.

Sorry this chapter is so short guys I promise I didn't do this on purpose but it just felt right. I promise this won't happen very often but I hope you all are enjoying the story so far and as always thank you so much for the support!