Chapter 1

"Wren come on you're going to be late!" my father called from downstairs.

The sound of the lid closing on the bin had caused a sigh to escape my lips. Today's the day I'd be leaving the nest and starting a new journey without my father holding my hand. Taking one last look around the now empty room aside from the furniture, nostalgia began to hit. I spent the last ten years in this room. With its queen sized tucked in the far-right corner, floral wallpaper that I had outgrown years ago but never changed. There were so many memories of this place. Too many I wish I could forget.

"Wren!" my father called once more.

"Coming!" I responded grabbing the bin.

My dad met me at the bottom step where I dropped the bin. He looked at me with eyes full of proudness with a hint of worry. Natural reaction I suppose.

"Are you sure you have everything? I won't be able to drive up and down the highway every time you call to say that you forgot something," my father reminded me.

I laughed. "I double checked the checklist and everything in each bin at least a dozen times last night. Plus, colleges do have stores you know."

"But you don't have a job yet and I don't want you blowing your money within the first week."

"Dad, I'll be fine," I reassured him. "Can you take this bin to the car? I just need to grab Olly."

His lips pressed into a thin line, but he took the bin to the car without a word. I quickly headed downstairs into the chilly basement flicking the light on. The sound of my hamster's wheel caught my attention, and my heart began to glow. Olly had been my faithful companion for about two months now and there was no way I'd be leaving him at home under my dad's care. I could come back one weekend and he would be gone. My father's reputation with animals isn't great.

"Hi Olly," I cooed peering into his cage.

His small white and grey body continued to run on the wheel as I grabbed the handle. It may not be a good idea to bring him to school since I'm going to be gone most of the day, but hamsters are independent creatures and don't require much attention. At least Olly doesn't which is what I like about the little guy. Taking him upstairs he jumped off the wheel and burrowed himself underneath the bedding. I hoped he'd stay under there for the duration of the car ride.

My father was back inside waiting by the door when I came back upstairs. He looked at me in disapproval but there was nothing he could say that would change my mind. Olly wasn't his biggest fan and vice versa. The day I brough him home he bit my dad which got him threatened to be released outside. But me being his only advocate I pleaded him to let Olly stay and he could remain in the basement. Out of sight out of mind, right?

"You're not seriously taking that rat to school, are you?" my father questioned looking at the cage.

"Yes, I'm taking Olly, my hamster to school," I corrected. "It'll be fine. My roommate is aware of him and she's totally fine with it. The school doesn't have any strict pet policies so he's welcome. Isn't that right my little fur baby?"

Of course, he didn't respond but he remained hidden. I wasted no time getting him to the car, strapping his cage on the passenger side so he wouldn't be crammed in the backseat with all my belongings. My father and I exchanged a hug and goodbye before I got in on the driver's side. He gave me one final wave goodbye as Olly and I turned the corner to leave home.

The four-and-a-half-hour drive was the worst. I had to stop for gas one time but the number of times I had to use the restroom was ridiculous. Olly had managed to stay hidden under his bedding the entire time which was a little concerning, but he's also rarely been in a car before. Maybe he was scared. Can hamsters even get scared?

My Toyota Camry was parked in a long line of other students and families moving all their stuff in. It was nearly impossible to get close to the entrance. I did get here later than expected so it wasn't a guarantee that I'd be able to park close to the entrance. As I gathered the things I'd need for check-in, I decided to take Olly inside first so he wouldn't be sitting in the heat while I move.

Everyone was buzzing with chatter as they moved, excited to start school tomorrow, families sobbing as they said their goodbyes. I approached a tan folding table and there sat two girls who were responsible for check in. The one on the left handled last names A-M and the other handles N-Z.

"Hi there," the girl on the left smiled. "Last name?"

"Haywood, Wren," I responded.

"What's in the cage?" the other girl questioned.

"Olly, he's a hamster. He's a little shy I guess," I replied.

"Here you go. Inside you'll find your key, mailbox key, room information, and a small welcome booklet. If you have any questions your RA should be available to answer them. If not, we'd be happy to answer them for you. And welcome to the Regents," the girl checking me in spoke.

"Thank you," I muttered.

Heading inside the cool stone building I stepped to the side and placed Olly's cage on the floor. Sorting through the packet I found a slip that had my room number on it and immediately headed to the third floor. Wandering down the hall I opened the door to room 309 and found it was empty. It had the standard beds, desks, wardrobes and dressers, but my roommate hadn't arrived yet. Placing Olly on a vacant desk, I grabbed my water bottle from my bag to top his. Once he was all settled in, I decided that it was time to unload my stuff.

It only took seven trips plus the one to park in the student parking lot which might I add is a five-minute walk from the building, which only made me glad that I didn't park there initially before unloading everything. Upon entering the now cluttered room, I went through the bins one by one, sorting out which clothes I'd wear for the next few weeks, and which can remain in bins. The room was cozy and by the I genuinely mean cozy. My bed had to be lofted up a couple notches just so I could use the space underneath for storage. The wooden dressers and wardrobes didn't help much.

As the song that was playing through my AirPods came to an end, I heard the door unlock and my head snapped in the direction to see who it was. A girl about the same age as I walked in with a bag that clearly looked crocheted and a small suitcase. She gave me a small smile as the door closed and set her stuff off to the side.

"Hi roomie," she greeted pulling me into a hug.

Her closeness made me feel weird inside but nonetheless I returned the embrace wondering if she did this to everyone she met.

"This must be Olly," she stated walking over to his cage. "You know my parents would never let me have a pet because they're gross and smelly, but I beg to differ. I think pets are cute and adorable."

"Yeah," I agreed. "You might not see him much. He's a napper and a hider. Naps under the bedding most of the day, real active at night. I hope you don't mind."

"Nonsense I'm practically a night owl myself so we'll get along just fine."

Now that she was standing in one spot, I could finally get a better view of her. Her curly dark brown hair was pulled into a high ponytail, and she seemed kind of tan. I couldn't tell whether it was just a natural kind of look or if she had traveled somewhere recently to soak up some sun. Something you don't see much in the state of Washington in my opinion. She had deep brown eyes and an actual Colgate smile that made you question if she was a representative for them at some point and who her dentist was.

"Um, so I'm going to take this side of the room," I said aloud to grab her attention. "I didn't know you were coming today. I just got here later than I thought, and I didn't know you were coming so soon."

"That's fine. I only live an hour away, so I didn't have to bring much. Take up as much space as you need. I'm going to grab the rest of my stuff, say goodbye to my parents."

I simply nodded as I watched her exit our tiny room. Glancing over at Olly's seemingly empty cage I let out an exasperated breath. "I don't know about her Olly. She seems kind of chatty and I don't think I'd get much work done living with her. What do you think?"

His little grey and white head popped up from the bedding and he raced across the bedding to chug some water. I smiled at his movements trying to calm myself down.

"Yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe I am being a bit over dramatic."