Chapter 7

Wren

All of my homework was finished by the time Monica came bursting through the door asking if I wanted to get dinner with her. I have no problem with hanging out with her, but sometimes I wonder if she wants the perfect roommate experience where we're best friends and live with each other all throughout college. Then years down the line we're bridesmaids at each other's weddings and end up having kids at the same time. Yeah, none of that will happen.

She played with the hem of her sleeveless tank top as I gave Olly a couple of treats before we left. Monica suggested we try something new tonight, so we took the short walk to Northside Café but honestly I didn't see the need to have a north and south one. Don't they serve the same thing?

"How long have you had Olly?" Monica questioned during the walk to the dining hall.

"Just for a couple of months. I got him a few weeks after graduation since I had a job and I've always wanted a pet of some sort," I responded.

"I tried getting a goldfish once, but my parents wouldn't go for it. Said they smell and that they die too quickly. They were right about them dying pretty quick."

We arrived at the busy dining hall and scanned in. The smell of burgers and chicken caused my stomach to growl. I'm not used to eating this late. Monica and I agreed to meet back at the entrance after we grabbed our food since we went in different directions. I began to think about Grayson, wondering if I'd run into him here. I hadn't seen him since freshman seminar which wasn't unlikely considering how many students go here. Maybe I passed by him and didn't even know. But if by any chance he saw me, wouldn't he have at least said hello or something? There's also a good chance he doesn't even live on campus too.

"What can I get you?" the woman asked picking up one of the serving tools.

"Chicken tenders and mashed potatoes."

I watched as she filled my plate and reached over the glass to hand it to me. I thanked her but she started serving the girl behind me. Monica was waiting for me at the entrance, and she guided me over to an empty table. This time I offered to get the drinks since she had gotten them last time. I poured her root beer and my pink lemonade then headed back to the table.

"No ketchup or barbeque sauce?" she questioned looking at my plate.

"Nope," I responded popping the 'p'. "I'm starving and I don't think I have the energy to even get up and get condiments.

She laughed as she took a bite of her asparagus, one of the many vegetables I hated. I don't see how people can eat that stuff. We didn't really say much as we ate. Both of us probably wanting to go back to the dorm to relax since our first day of college is now over. It was safe to say that even though I was in a mood because I woke up too early, but my sour mood didn't show, today was a good day.

Sorry it was such another short chapter the way I had this story envisioned in my head made sense but then seeing it on a screen is making me have second thoughts. Do you all like the way each chapter kind of plays out where I have both their points of view on how the first day went, even though it makes the chapters shorter sometimes? Let me know in the comments.