FORTY

CHAPTER FORTYDISCONNECTION!

CHAPTER FORTY
DISCONNECTION!

SOMETHING TELLS ME
THAT YOU WON'T GIVE UP

╍╍╍╍╍⬖⬘⬗╍╍╍╍╍

Jisung took a deep breath as he hid behind the pillars, gritting his teeth, he tried to contain his fear within him. Mark told him to wait, but he couldn't wait any longer. A sickening feeling twisted in him the more he stayed hidden within the shadows, whenever he closes his eyes he hears a scream of terror—one frightening enough to send chills down his spine.

He peeked behind the pillars, seeing as the lab rats continued to fight back the soldiers that tried to push through the entrance. They must've been wanting to report to their Prime Minister, however, were they even sure Kasdeya was still upstairs? It had been an hour — or what seemed like an hour to Jisung — since Sera had gone upstairs and as the seconds ticked by, he could tell the others were starting to get worried.

Was it supposed to take this long? Surely not, he thought.

"Sera hasn't been gone for long." As if his thoughts were read, he turned around to see no other than the lost boy—now with his newly dyed orange hair. Eyes growing wide, he immediately raised his blaster, freezing in his spot. He could hear the blaster's command in his ear clearly, telling him that his target was locked, yet his finger didn't dare go near the trigger button. "It's not really wise to shoot me, Ji."

"Shut up, traitor."

Chenle felt his heart tug at the nickname. What's wrong with him? Even awhile ago with his conversation with Sera at the UA Main Headquarters, he never felt so strange before. Clenching his jaw, his gaze unfaltering as he stared into Jisung's frightened eyes. "Time works differently here in Ether. Time goes faster in the Real World, an hour here would mean a day there."

"What..." Baffled, Jisung's grip on the blaster loosened as his brows knitted together in confusion. His frown was now more eminent on his face, and he tilted his head, wanting to laugh at how ridiculous that sounded.

"You're kidding." The younger was on the verge of laughing it off when he noticed Chenle's expression didn't change at all. He was serious—or at least he could be pretending to be serious, after all, he did pretend to be Jisung's friend.

"It's wise you hear me out or else Ether would end up in ruins."

"I—I'm... I don't—"

"Jisung!" A familiar voice — he recognized as Mark's — called out for him through the earpiece they wore. The said teenager glanced over his shoulder and past the pillars he was hiding behind of, he notices Mark backing up against the wall as he dodged another attack, "We'll give you enough cover. Run up the stairs and meet up with the higher ups once we say go!"