WELCOME

2nd week of January.The week of knowing each other-your classmates that is.AKA orientation day.
ALL NURSING AND MEDICAL STUDENTS ARE THEREFORE REQUIRED TO BE THERE BY 8.00AM.
Read the letter.
But who are kenyans?

7.40am na sijaoga. Sijatwanga bread na blueband na sijui nitavaa nini.Lakini nashtuka kweli? Me sipangwingwi.

I made it to the M Hall with the help of me seeing a large group of people moving towards that place.Yep your girl didn't even know where M Hall was.
There were well arranged seats,white tiles and a white board.I guessed that acted as a class too.Despite the large windows it was really hot compared to downstairs.And Sherie Ali being a girl who wears short sleeved tops with denims to complete her look,feared to remove her denim jacket because what if they judge you?So nilingangana tu na jacket bora my  hands dont show.'Modest girl innit'

"WELCOME OUR NEW DOCTOBLASTS!"
A huge,clean shaven man spread his hands while saying this.I did not know what the hell doctoblast is but it sure did sound 'scientific'.Well Not me saving it in my brain dictionary for later use.Typical fresher.Hiyo ni ya kushtua kijiji pia.

The guy talked and talked for ages on how we should behave in med school .At the end he finished with "I know you're here to study but don't just be a bookworm eeh! You also know here is where you will find your wife or husband !So socialize, socialize please.Hatutaki ukufe na depression." Well that was contrary to my father's words but you know Daktari is right.Loners are likely to get depressed.
And you know,Kenya ni kujuana -connections muhimu very important.Sad fact but that's the reality.

We let out a burst of laughter and you would see mostly men laughing the loudest.They know it's true.Most of them were scanning around the hall maybe in search of their type.Lucky for me my hijab covered most of my face so no one would notice - or not.

"Hey I'm Ricky, nice hijab!" Came a voice from behind.His voice was 135%bass.Broke the scale.I hesitated for a moment because I knew he wanted me to look back.Anyway since I wanted to know the beholder of thy lion voice yours truly said a plain "I appreciate"while turning my head.I think saying I appreciate rather than thanks is much more ...classy ,top notch so to say.

He was handsome okay.Brown eyes ,chocolate brown skinned complexion
Umm,he was sitting but he seemed tall and what is it with men and smooth faces! I mean girls will buy a whole shelf of skin care products and still have spots or even more spots! Men just use geisha or kipande and their faces are flawless! Unfair if you ask me.Haters will say I'm jealous.

I didn't say a word to him after. Your's truly was just quiet gazing at him like a clown.Gosh!Shee are you not embarazzzzed are you not ashamed!
"And your name is?" As soon as he asked this,there went the man presenting,Mr Oluoch "How about we Introduce ourselves and the Muslim girl at the far corner can pray for us first." I quickly turned around to see if it was me he was talking about and our eyes locked .Damn it.

No no no.Me infront of all these over 50 faces those are over 100 eyes! What if I mess up.This is all your fault Ricky !Me trying to be courageous,I lifted myself up and strode to the front.Not saying my name I immediately said the 'let's pray 'cliche."Put your hands together and at the end let's all say Ameen."Well I didn't sound that scared after all.After the small Dua all went Ameen.I went back to my seat as I eyed Ricky gesturing that I would get him for this.
"You should teach me arabic"
"Shut up and stop talking to me."
"Nice bass you got there.MashaAllah.Is that how they say it?"

I pushed my leg back and stepped on his shoes."These are A1s bana!"
"Nilikuambia unyamaze."
The man went silent.So now you know.Step on their Air force if they don't want to keep quiet.(I am not responsible for the reaction afterwards)

Everyone introduced themselves ,mentioning their name,highschool they attended and where they are from.Our Airforce guy was from Maranda. Not surprised.Can we just all agree that Maranda guys are all big bodied and stubborn?
Well so as almost 9 others went to that school and get this all of them were damn tall and built.Kwani huwa mnakula nini huko?

Afterwards we were given our school's handbook which constituted a tonne of rules.And to be honest,I ain't never touch that book since that day bruh.Who does anyway?

I hurriedly rushed to get out of the hall to avoid other small talks but there goes Ricky.
"Ey kwani uko na form where are you rushing to.Si urelax."
"Look unataka? Nimechoka I'm going to rest."
"Sherie that's a pretty name.But stepping on my Air force 1s, not pretty at all."
"You got what you wanted now can you please leave me alone"
"Okay okay si we'll meet tomorrow after class Ms Stepper. Sa umesema ata lunch hatuezienda?"
"Bye Ricky" I said smiling
"Huyu ni stima huyu ni nare"He sang meja's lines as he went.

Well he was not bad after all.Maybe I am a little heartless but you know,aren't all girls like that at the beginning?

"Sherie!" I heard a familiar voice calling me out.Turning around,it was my schoolmate,Flora.Atleast I was delighted to know that I came here with someone I knew."Hey!Sasa!Ata we uliitwa hapa!"
"Eeh but I'm doing nursing yah niko Hostel B ata kuja nikuonyeshe room yangu"
And I told her I was in med as we walked and talked much more.

"Uliskia Diana alipata ball.Alipata daktari ata ameoleka. Ako na nyumba smart Shee nikikuonyesha utafaint.Sema pesa! Owada acha tu ninyamaze."
"Waaaah kuwa serious.Eishhh si she's lucky aki some people just have luck."Not me pretending to not know the story and act all surprised.
But you know,stories like that are just bound to happen after highschool.There will always be your schoolmate who will get pregnant and get married and everyone will know about it.

As soon as we arrived in hostel B ,we met with a lot of girls passing next to a room looking shocked.It was as if there was some demons there.I held Flora's hand and proceeded to check out what it was.Well those were not demons but a sight worth all the reactions we saw on people's faces.

It was a girl,sitting lazily next to her bed as she was speaking gibberish,no one understood what she was saying,throwing up blood.Scary if you ask me.No one was helping so knowing this is just a human like me,I told Flora we should search for the hostel caretaker.
It was all in vain.None of us had the ambulance number either.
"We'll have to run to the hospital to  call the ambulance." I told Flora.So we immediately rushed to the clinic which was just around the compound and asked for help.The nurses there responded swiftly and we all got in the ambulance.

This was the first time in an ambulance for both of us and let me tell you in as much as we were not victims,it felt dreadful.I even took a video, what a way to start our medschool experience.

We arrived in five,and the girl was helped into the ambulance.That's when I saved the ambulance numbers and it came in handy in future.Advice-save the nearby  clinic's ambulance numbers if there is one.

As we entered Flora's room,someone called my name and tapped me as I was removing my shoes.In the event of standing and turning to see who it was,he branched to one of the rooms so I lost him.The voice was not familiar at all,but it sure was a great bass.The only thing I got was his scent and being a scent fanatic,it was that of axe,the brown one.The only thing my eyes captured was the ends of a red hood,which had golden stripes.

Who was this guy with such a beautiful voice and a great scent? As we talked with Flora,I kept wondering if he was in my class.If I could only know who it was.But how? Will I go smelling every boy in class!Ridiculous.
I had to know...