Unquiet Sky

Susato was helping Ashley support Mr. Milverton when they broke through the trees. Sunlight struck them. It ignited in their senses, subsuming all else. Susato squinted against the brightness. Heard gasps all around her. When she looked at Mr. Milverton's face, he was smiling brightly, colour coming alive in his pallid face.

They pressed on, delighting in the sunshine as they journeyed for hours.

The floating report of a rifle reached Susato. That was how she knew they were close to the village. Her heart stammered upwards in her chest.

And then, a voice. "Susato-chan!?"

Kazuma.

Warmth surged within Susato as he appeared before them, sword at his hip and rifle in hand, face filled with shock and confusion. Klint walked out of the brush behind him, rifle at the ready. He blinked quickly, surprise overtaking his countenance, his severe brow furrowing as his gaze roved along Susato and her companions.

Susato broke out smiling and rushed for Kazuma, tears gathering beneath her eyelashes. She hugged him and felt it as his breath hitched. He hugged her back, a relieved, disbelieving laugh tumbling from his chest.

"Susato-chan! I thought...we all thought that Beast had killed you!"

She shook her head and leaned back to look at him. "I'm unharmed!"

"Susato-chan...it's really you," Kazuma said. "Okaeri."

Susato smiled, the tears spilling over. "Tadaima."

"I am certainly grateful to see you are well, Miss Mikotoba! We all have been greatly distressed. However, I cannot help but feel immensely bewildered...Who are these people with you?" Klint said.

"My father will need to rest soon. Can you explain whilst we walk?" Ashley said.

Klint's gaze shifted to Ashley's injured eye, and all traces of light went out from Klint's expression. He looked at Susato, grim-faced, and gave a taut nod.

"How is my Olive?" Duncan burst out as they continued on their way.

"You refer to Miss Green?" Klint said, a glare settling into his features.

Kazuma's expression hardened as well. "Hold on. Are you seriously going to say that you are Duncan Ross?" he demanded.

"Yes, I am!" Duncan said.

"But that murderous Beast carried you off months ago," Kazuma said.

"Oh, we all were in Mr. Beast's clutches," Evie said. "Some of us more than others." She gave Susato a knowing smile.

"Yeah, weren't so bad. But I missed the sun, me," Gina said.

"By all accounts, none of you should be alive," Klint said. He stopped midstride. "I want to hear about this manor."

"If you know where the Beast is, you must tell us. We will bring it to justice," Kazuma said, placing his hand on Karuma.

"Now, now, there's no need to fuss. We're all perfectly fine," Evie said.

"And my father needs a place where he can rest. Do you expect us to go entirely without food and water all day?" Ashley said.

"The Beast saw after our health. I would have died were it not for him," Mr. Milverton said.

"What?" Kazuma hissed.

"So you do know where he is," Klint said, his voice like an extinguished candle.