Heart's New Fire

Life began to change in the manor.

Susato kept to her promise. Each day, she brought the Beast food and helped him practise safely reaching for others. A grasp of the hand, a clutch of the wrist. They started slow. And each moment, Susato hoped to catch a glimpse of his human face again.

But another change was happening, somewhere inside this poor man-turned-Beast. The wall within him was beginning to sprout fissures, and water was trickling through. Now he wished to truly know more about the souls trapped in the manor, to enter into their company. Thus, with Susato as his guide, he began to visit them all.

The Beast examined Duncan's paintings and offered insightful critique, which eased Duncan's fears slowly and seemed to brighten his mood. The Beast asked Evie to help with sewing his clothes (damaged from his own claws) and kept her company while she attended to them. Together, he went with Susato to check on Mr. Milverton and his health. The Beast held discussions with Patricia when she assisted Susato with cooking. He conversed with Bruce about commerce and trade. And he talked at length with Gina about mentors, about father figures, about how the manor used to look and the secret passages Gina had yet to find. She sought them out with great interest after their conversations.

Susato watched the Beast come alive. Watched warmth dawn in his visage. She smiled, beholding him. This creature with a horrid face. This man with wounded eyes. A deep gentleness encased her heart, drew it towards the surface, affection for him filling her more each day. She simply could not help but view him with an increasing fondness.

And then, one day, she happened upon the Beast talking with Duncan in the hothouse. It was a pleasant surprise to see them conversing, without needing Susato there to act as a sort of ambassador to initiate their interaction.

"Can you paint it?" the Beast said.

"I will try my hardest," Duncan said. "It must have been so nice back then. I miss the colour of flowers."

"As do I. Your paintings remind me of much I have forgotten. They truly have become as a window to the world."

Duncan brightened. "Really?"

"Yes."

"I will try to paint this room, just the way you described it. I'll go fetch my easel!" Duncan said. He turned. "Miss Susato!" he said with a pleasant smile before hurrying away.

"Mr. Ross seems very excited," Susato said, meeting the Beast's eyes.

"I have asked him to paint my memory of this room. Although, I fear my descriptions lacking," the Beast said.

"What was it like?"

"Here the flowers were bright orange. Here bright pink. There, plants so green they glowed in the light. As if peering upon a fine peridot. Strong sunlight. And a vibrancy so intense everything shivered in sight."

Susato smiled. "That sounds so lovely."

"It is like a dream now, more than a memory. For I see it with a sound."

"A sound?"

"A song or a voice. Anyway, I trust Mr. Ross will capture the magnificence more greatly than any mere words can hope to accomplish."

"You have faith in his abilities."

"His paintings help me remember. Like waking from a nightmare in which I am blind. I suppose that is how it feels for everyone I have imprisoned in this dreary realm."

"It was starting to feel that way for me as well."

The Beast placed his hand over his heart. "A painful reality that must be redressed."