Chapter 1

I heard my alarm clock ring and I groaned. I knew it was Friday morning so it was only one day until it was weekend. Fortunately. But what I really needed was a school break and it was still weeks away. I threw off the duvet and got up. I walked to my bathroom and looked in the mirror. My hair was its usual tangled mess. I took my brush and started to tame it. After a few minutes of wrestling with my hair, putting on my uniform and applying my make-up, I walked downstairs to grab breakfast.

My mum and sister Jessie were already sitting at the table. I took one look at my mum and I knew she wasn’t feeling well. Again. This happened a few times a week lately. I sat down next to my sister and began to eat some cereal. I took my biology book out of my bag and I began to scan through the pages. I had a test 3rd period and I didn’t know if I knew it well enough. After some minutes my father also came downstairs. He looked at my mum and said: “Stacy, honey, do you feel sick again? Don’t you think you should see a doctor?” But my mum denied it, she said it probably wasn’t something very bad and that he shouldn’t worry. My dad didn’t look satisfied by her answer, but somehow decided to drop the topic and instead started to bore me with questions about biology. I got up to brush my teeth and left for school. It wasn’t a very long ride, but I still was happy to get off the bus.

My best friend Sam was waiting for me near the bench we always sat on during breaks. “Well, Em, did you study for Biology? I did, but I don’t fully understand paragraph 4? Could you please explain the citric acid cycle to me? Please?” I laughed, “of course I can” I then explained it to her as we walked to our first class.

When after some hours the last bell rang, I was happy to have weekend, but I had to hurry to work. Sam, Susie (my other friend) and I made plans to go out tomorrow evening and I said goodbye to them. When I arrived at home I quickly changed into my working clothes and left for work. I was a waitress in a restaurant and I had to work hard, but I always had a lot of fun with my co-workers. Most of the time I worked for about 5 hours on a Friday night and sometimes I had to work on Saturday night. Today it was very busy and I was happy when I got home, but my mum still wasn’t feeling well. It happened so often these days that it started to worry me a bit. If even my father thought it wasn’t something good, it could only be something bad. We all tried to convince her, but she wouldn’t listen to us. After some time I went to bed, because I was really tired and I had to get up early the next morning because I had training.

When I woke up the next morning, everyone else was still asleep. It was still dark outside, the days were growing shorter and the winter was creeping closer. I changed into warm clothes and packed my tennis bag, before having some breakfast. When I heard the doorbell ringing I knew that Bella was there. Bella was a friend of mine and I played tennis with her, so we always went together.

“Yo Emma, ready to get beaten?”

 I laughed at her. ‘’You know that I won last time right?’’

When we arrived at the tennis club, we walked straight to the tennis court. Some other people were also playing. I know that Bella hates those people who think they’re the best, just like me. We started playing, but it wasn’t clear who of the two of us was better. The game took quite a long time because we were equal. Suddenly Bella couldn’t reach for the ball and it hit her nose. She fell on the ground with her hands pressed to her face. I ran to her. “Does it hurt?” “Well, a bit”. I heard her laughing.

“Now I finally get the nosebleed instead of you” I gave her a hand and together we walked to the club house. At the bar we asked for some tissues. After some minutes her bloody nose stopped. “tennis time again”.  She laughed.

After two hours of playing tennis I finally came home. “I’m home!’’. I shouted. But no reaction came. I walked to the kitchen. On the table lay a note.

Emma,

You’re mom and I are to the doctor. I finally got her that far. Now hoping it isn’t something bad. Your sister is at Logan’s house.

Love, Dad

I made some lunch and sat down on the sofa in front of the television. When I finished my lunch I ran upstairs to take a shower. I needed to fresh up. When I was all clean,  I walked to my room and started to do my homework. I had tons of it but not much time.

After some time I heard the door open. I realised that my parents were home, so I ran downstairs. When I walked in to the living room I saw my parents talking to each other. “Hello”. “Hello Emma’’. I was a bit nervous, maybe it was really something bad. “And, how was it at the hospital?” “Well, they had to take blood samples for research, and we will get the results in a few weeks.” “Let’s hope it’s not something bad” I heard my mom saying. I didn’t know what it was, but it looked like my mom was also a bit afraid for the results. “I don’t think so” I said to her. She smiled at me. To get to another subject, I started to talk about what happened at tennis. “Emma, do you have to work tonight?” my mom asked suddenly. “Uhm, yes, at 5 o’clock.” “Okay, then I know when I have to start making dinner.” “But I’m not done yet with my homework.” When I was in my room I texted Sam.

Hey Sam, my mum went to the doctor, they had to take blood samples. We will get the results in a few weeks, so we don’t know yet. Ow, and I have to work till 9 o’clock. I’m at your house at 10 o’clock okay? See you tonight. Love Emma

I changed into my working clothes. I was on my way to work. It was really cold. I hated it when it was cold so I was happy to be at work. As always it was really busy.  I had to serve at a table where a couple of guys were sitting. “What can it be?” I asked. “Well, I want a cola and your phone number” I heard one of the boys say. I looked at him. “You can have your cola, but my number isn’t on the card is it?” I walked away, hearing the boys laughing about their friend. I didn’t know what it was, I wasn’t ugly, I know that myself, and some boys were interested in me, but I always pushed them in the friend zone. I just wasn’t one of those girls who needed a boyfriend so desperately, not like some of my friends or like my sister. Sure, I had kissed a boy sometimes, but I had never fallen really in love with someone. I walked to the table of the boys and gave them their drinks. I loved my work, but I was happy that I could go home. I changed my clothes and packed my bag. Did I have everything? I hurried to Sam. I loved going out with my friends. Susie was already at Sam’s house. “Sorry that I’m so late, I had to work.” I said when Sam opened the door. “I know, your texted me remember?” “People, is this a tea party or are we going out?” Susie said. She already stood outside. “I want to kiss some boys” she laughed. “I knew it,” Sam laughed. Together we walked to the café. We saw some other people from school. Susie was trying to get some phone numbers, just as always. It looked like she was always trying to make us jealous, not that it really worked though. Suddenly I saw the boys who I had to serve at my work. “OMG, Sam, I know those guys, one of them asked me for my phone number.” Sam looked at the boys I pointed at. “They’re cute.” She said. I looked at her like she just said ‘50 shades of gray’ is a good book. “You’re joking right?” “Why would I?” I saw the smile on her face that she always had when she was telling a lie. She was horrible at telling lies, and that always made it funny. I looked at my right. I saw Susie still talking to the same boys. What was it with her and her obsession over boys? I didn’t even trust her that well. She can’t keep a secret.

It was 3 o’clock and Sam and I were on our way back home. Susie didn’t want to go with us. She saw a friend of her and said that she stayed with her and that if we wanted we could stay. But Sam and I were too tired. I told Sam about my mum and that my father and I were sure it was something bad. “You can only know when you have the results” she said. “I know, but she is feeling sick for weeks now.” “Maybe she is just pregnant,” and Sam looked at me, smiling. “I don’t want to think about that, I’m 17, a baby brother of sister getting now,.... no thank you.” “But maybe I see you tomorrow?” “Yes I think so.” We said goodbye to each other. When I got home I jumped into my bed. I was so tired and I needed my sleep. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Well, this is our first fanfiction ever, so please comment on what you like or don't like, so we can learn from this. Anyway, thank you so much for reading this, it means a lot to us. And this is our least favourite chapter, it's a bit boring, we know, but the next chapter will be better.