Picking Up The Tale

I opened my eyes just in time to see Josh explode in a rush of heat, fire and light. He crumbled into ash, the imprint of his face, smiling but with tears in his eyes, remained in the air.

"No!" Shaade howled, falling to his knees. The sound of his sobs echoed around the room, no one knowing what to say.

"See you in Hell is my phrase," Georgina said eventually. "He stole my ideal last words."

Shaade growled and split into two, both forms running at Georgina, fury and grief in their eyes, magic in their hands. I skidded across the room and threw them both backwards, moving faster than the speed of light.

"Oh no you don't," I grunted, steeling myself for a second attack. None came for Shaade was too busy crying again.

"So we lost one soldier," Benny sighed, "and gained another."

"Who?" Shaade said, his voice a whisper. "So soon Josh has been replaced?"

"I'm sorry, Shaade," Benny said awkwardly. "But we need to win this war."

"What's it even about?" Shaade said bitterly, rising to his feet, tears spilling down his face. "We're not going to fight for causes that have nothing to do with us!"

"Shaade, calm down," Benny said sternly. By that point I had stood up and checked that my skull wasn't smashed from Josh throwing me backawards. I winced and wiped my hand on my combats, leaving a bloody trail.

"Why should I calm down?!" Shaade cried, balling his hands into fists, face scrunching up to stop any more tears. "In case you haven't noticed, my boyfriend just died because of you lot locking us up in here! And now you're replacing him?!"

"We are not replacing him!" Benny yelled. "This was already planned!"

"Planned? What, you planned Josh's death?"

"No! That just screwed it all up!"

"So you're blaming him now for something that's your fault?"

"No, I'm not," Benny said through gritted teeth, trying not to lose his temper again. "We fully accept that it's our fault Josh is dead but it couldn't be prevented. The demon got too strong for him to handle."

"I wish Edaahs would just do that to me," Shaade whimpered, crying again. "I don't want to be here any more, I want to die."

"Shaade..."

"I mean it!" the demon shouted. "I! Want! To! Die!" He howled and shadows burst from his every limb. White light joined the darkness and discoloured, fading rainbows twisted between.

"Stop it!" Georgina bellowed, shooting blue light from her hand at the distressed boy. I dodged out of the way to prevent my head being taken off by a stray beam - every invention needs more upgrades...

"Or what?" Shaade screamed, eyes turning black. "You'll kill me? Do it!"

"I won't kill you because you're our friend," Georgina argued. "And we don't like seeing you hurt or upset but when you're being this stupid? Nu-uh. I am not helping."

"Fine," Shaade growled. "I'll leave." He turned on his heel and started to march towards the exit. Again I sped across the room and blocked his escape.

"Sorry," I apologised. "But they need you."

"We also need you, Pepper," Benny added quietly. My eyes widened and no words came to mind. Normally I'm never quiet but that was an exception.

"Whu?" I mumbled eventually.

"You move quicker than anyone we've ever met," Benny explained. "You would be an invaluable asset to the team."