Marching Orders

Three voices shouted different instructions at exactly the same time, orders barked left, right and centre. I wriggled further under the net and wiped mud off my face. Someone punched my ankle to keep me moving and I dragged myself on, elbows powering into the dirt, forcing myself onwards.

A hand dragged me upwards by snatching the collar of my coat. I was dressed in thick cotten trousers, a long navy RAF trenchcoat, a blue shirt and sturdy walking boots. My hair was slicked down, every spike obliterated. My eyes were starting to sting and I paused briefly to give myself a break. The same person hit me again, standing up and shoving me over.

"Weak," he growled, pushing past me to jog onto the next obstacle, a set of ropes that you would swing from like vines. I glared at his back until I felt a hand clap me on the shoulder.

"Keep going," our instructor, Emmi, said quietly. She was a tall girl, thin faced with long blonde hair and a pretty smile, a teenager, I think. A little penguin Pokemon followed her around everywhere, squeaking out the word 'Piplup' every three seconds. A yellow rabbit with a lightning tail could often be spotted sat on her shoulder and a brown fox-like dog would run up to her.

"I can't see properly," I grumbled, raising a hand to rub my eyes. A jet of water squirted at my face and after the ice shower had dripped away my vision was relatively clear, all dirt having been washed away.

"Now you can," she pointed out, smiling wickedly. I shook my head like a dog and my hair stuck out in every angle. Stopping to smooth it down and part it in the middle I ran on, promptly tripping over my untied laces. Laughter followed me across the ropes, taunting cries haunting my every move.

Halfway across the course I stopped, unable to reach the next rope. I hung in mid-air, clinging to the rope I was on, wrapping my legs around it and scrambling up. I started to swing using my body as a weight, going further and further out. I eventually gained enough confidence to uncurl my legs and start trying to hook the next rope. That was when someone grabbed my swinging post, stopping me in my tracks. My hands burned as I slid downwards, stray fibres sticking to my blistered palms. I cried out and dropped, arms windmilling, speeding like an arrow to the stagnant water below.

Algae and bugs filled my mouth and I spluttered, bubbles floating to the surface. I squinted, eyes searching in vain for any light rays distorted by the water. There was nothing, all-consuming darkness on every side. Claustrophobia set in and I kicked out, forcing myself up towards the surface. My clothes dragged me back down and I choked, mouth open in a scream.

I felt something next to me and I lashed out. A burst of white light blinded and confused me momentarily and it gave the thing the opportunity to drag me upwards - or was it deeper?

My head broke the surface of the water just as darkness set in. I gasped and retched, spitting out water, the liquid dribbling out of my mouth, nose and ears. My saviour held me at arms length before hugging me tightly, legs kicking to keep us both above water.

"I thought you were dead," he whispered. I nudged him with my forehead and leaned back, a faint smile on my face.

"Don't worry," I said, "I'm not leaving you just yet."

Shaade smiled and hugged me again. Turning me gently so that I floated on my back he pulled me to the bank, waving his hand and using light to make the water evaporate off him. He didn't do it for me, however, a fact that I pointed out quite quickly.

"Ah," Shaade said, "it's because you remind me of Captain Jack Harkness."

"Um... He doesn't have sopping wet hair, a pale, clammy face or soaking wet clothes," I said. Shaade laughed and patted me on the back, leading me away and further through the trees. Mud stuck to our boots and tree roots threatened to trip us up at every step.