Haunted Hotel

I screamed again and scrambled off my bed. I thudded to the floor, limbs all in a tangle. The sour odour of the rug met my nose and I gagged. Old, rotting meat wafted across the room towards me and I was nearly sick. One hand over my mouth I stumbled from the room, shouldering the door open and just praying that there were no lights.

To my misfortune it seemed that the sun was trapped in the narrow hallway that was the landing. A twisting, winding staircase spiralled off to my right but I had bigger concerns.

I lurched along, not stopping, shielding my eyes from the glare with one hand. Only then did I notice that I was wearing only pyjama trousers - red and blue with black vertical lines. I tripped over my own feet and slid a few feet, the carpet scrunching up beneath me. I pushed myself upright and kept on running, feet skidding and slipping, arms flailing madly. I didn't know where to go - every door looked the same, unfamiliar plank of wood.

I kept on sprinting, glancing back every three seconds. The corpse was following me, a figure of death, still making that horrible, throaty growl. Tears formed in my eyes as I ran, sobs bursting out when I least expected it. The body was getting closer, speeding up as I slowed down.

There was one door left at the very end of the corridor. Every safehouse I had passed was a simple blur, shapes and colour flashing past my considerably damaged vision. Somehow I could still see despite the bright light. What had happened I did not know.

The door was coming up and so I stopped running, hammering on the wood. It swung open and I barely registered the person stood there. I darted past, slamming the door shut and locking it. I left the key in the keyhole to stop anything else going in the space.

"What the actual heck?" a grumpy voice cried. I turned my head and smiled weakly. Shaade was stood a foot or so away, arms folded over a bare chest. He only had a pair of rainbow shorts on. Small scars littered his torso and his hair was still in the perfect style.

"Sorry," I apologised. "There was a, um, a..." I paused and my eyes widened. The door handle was turning despite there being a key in the lock. I hoped and prayed with all my might that the door would hold and-

The door slowly creaked open. Shadows covered the crack of light and I whimpered, head snapping back and forth as I looked for somewhere to hide. Shaade's hand gripped mine and I was pulled under the blue duvet on the bed, the only visible hiding place in the room.

Shaade placed a finger on my lips and shook his head, sheets rustling. I got the message and blinked twice to show I understood. Shaade's mouth twitched up into a smile and then we both tensed.

Harsh snarling was clearly audible above our heads. Shaade raised a hand and reluctantly flattened his quiff, stopping any stray hairs from poking out of the sheets. He grimaced and twitched his nose in irritation. Leaning forwards he whispered in my ear.

"You're going to pay for this," he said. "You really owe me."

"I know," I hissed back. "But right now let's concentrate on not dying, yeah?"

"Good idea, my boy."

We lapsed into silence, listening intently for the creature to return. Every so often Shaade would send out shadows to check if it were still there. It stayed in the room for as long as I were awake and most of when I were asleep.

*

I woke up to the sound of music. Someone was softly singing, stroking my hair, tiredness in their voice. At that point in time I didn't know anything of any sense so I was content just to lie there in my half doze state.

"They say if you don't let it out, you're gonna let it eat you away," the voice sang gently, changing song. Fingers teased knots and tangles out of my hair.