Chapter 15: Truth

trigger warning: dark themes and references to self-harm that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

Marjorie's POV

    Marjorie formed out of the shadows in her bedroom in a momentary burst of cleverness at avoiding her friends and their questions; she had been gone almost all day, putting up with Wade.

   She actually enjoyed hanging out with him; Wade understood what Marjorie was going through, and didn't judge.

    "Majorie," a mysterious and deep voice said.

    "Bucky!?!?!?!?!" Marjorie almost fell over in shock; she had been so distracted that she hadn't noticed his shadow vaper, a first.

    "What?" His expression quickly changed from a calm neutral, to bewildered alarm, and then to an annoying pleased expression. (He wasn't very expressive normally, but Marjorie was good at reading him.) "I can't believe I actually snuck up on you. Marjorie: 54, me: 1!"

    Marjorie grumbled and crossed her arms. "Why are you in my room?"

    "You said you would tell me why you were upset earlier, remember?" he said innocently.

    "I said maybe," Marjorie snapped.

    "Please?"

    Ugh, why did he have to look at her like that? His annoying puppy-dog eyes practically made her melt into a puddle. Uhg, stupid heart.

    She really didn't want to tell him.

    To relive it.

    But she didn't want to hide it anymore.

    Every day she struggled with her thoughts.

    And he would find out eventually. It was only a matter of time.

    And lying would make it so much worse. He would find out if she did.

    And lying to him made her feel horrible.

    But she really didn't want to.

    It will be horrible.

    And I don't want him to think I'm a—No!

    Everyone said that Marjorie wasn't!

    Everyone who matters.

    She wasn't a—a—

    Monster.

    No!

    "Please?" Bucky pleaded, looking at her in a way that turned her thoughts into melted chocolate. Marjorie idly wondered if he was conscious of his effect on her.

    "Fine,'' Marjorore said monotonously, and sat on the edge of her bed next to him. (Leaving several inches in between them.) Bucky watched her expectantly. Marjorie stared at the floor.

    Why did I agree to this?

    Marjorie really didn't want to tell him the whole story, and yet.

    And yet.

    And yet, she forced herself to start talking in the same monotonous voice:

    "My parents always wanted a child, so when they had me they were very happy.  They had had trouble having kids. But, when I started showing signs of umbrakinesis, they were ... less than pleased. My parents were firmly on the mutants-are-evil-and-dangerous-let's-burn-them-at-the-stake side of the argument.