Chapter 9: Memories (Part 2)

trigger warning: mild language that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

trigger warning: dark themes and references to self-harm that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

Bucky's POV

    He remembered the first time they had met:

    He dragged the blond — no. Steve. His name was Steve.

    Memories flickered past his eyes, pieces of his past, a puzzle his brain struggled to solve.

    Something clicked into place. Bucky Barnes. His name was Bucky. And this teenager — he was Steve Rodgers. They were... friends?

    Yes, they were friends.

    He dragged Steve across the sand and set him down gently. A strange lump in his throat formed when he looked at Steve's injuries. He felt slightly nauseous.

    Steve was hurt and it was his fault.

    He did this.

    Memories swam in his vision, begging for attention. It was all coming back. A flood that was triggered with just one drop.

    He saw Hydra, all the missions he did. All the lives he took. But the memories from before were faded. Faces and names slipped from his grasp.

    Maybe it was better this way.

    He didn't deserve to be happy. He—

    "Hello." He spun around to the quiet, musical voice, searching for a weapon.

    The voice belonged to a small, petite girl with wet curly blond hair. She stood several paces away. How could have he missed her before? She didn't look like a threat, but Bucky pulled out a knife anyway.

    She smiled. "You seem confused. I'm Marjorie. She/her." She paused for a second. "You're Bucky, right?"

    He said nothing.

    Something about the girl tugged at his memory. He had fought her before... Yes, She had been on the helicarrier-thing with Steve.

    Steve and her fought together, so maybe she had come to get him?

    Bucky's hand tightned on the dagger; she had fought him, maybe she would attack him again.

    ... But her stance seemed very relaxed...

    And she was talking to him?

    "I guess it was pointless that I put the chip in, seeing as you guys totally destroyed the helicarrier-thing." The girl was talking again, and Bucky tensed when he realized what she had said.

    She had somehow got past him, which meant she was really powerful.

    He distinctly remember throwing her across the helicarrier-thing... But she didn't look injured. Or mad. How had she snuck by him injured?

    The girl was wearing a black T shirt (that said "dabble before you dive," for some unknown reason) and medium dark jeans.

    She had a few small scars, one that looked like a shattered glass cut her spreading from the base of her neck to right mid-forarm, and several slashes across both wrists. They all looked faded and were barley visible against her pale skin. Bucky would have guessed that none of them were more recent that 5 years.