Chapter 40

Everything pass like a blur. I learned that Fina put drug on my juice, I already knew that though. I was mad, of course. Gusto ko siyang sakalin. But mom said she’ll take care of it. Knowing her, mas malupit siya sa’kin. And I don’t have any problem about that.

We’re both confine in the hospital. Hindi ko namalayang may sugat na pala ako sa noo. Naramdaman ko lang no’ng dumating ang ambulansya. I was so fucking nervous. Shane collapse in my arms.

As soon as my mother arrives, after giving me a rest she fired bullets of words. Tinanggap ko ‘yon ng buo at walang apela. Humingi rin ako ng tawad dahil sa pag aalala niya sa’kin. Bigla nalang kasi ako umalis.

Shane is still as sleep. Dalawang araw na siyang tulog. Doctor says she needs a lot of rest. And I’m just here always looking at her. Hindi ako nag sasawa sa kakatitig sa kaniya.

“Sleep now, son. It’s getting late.” Utos sa’kin ni mom.

Tumango ako, “I will, please wake me up when she woke up.” Bilin ko.

She sit on the sofa beside oldie. “We found this.” She took something from her bag. It was a paper, I reach it.

“That fucking girl is hitting two birds in one stone.” She exclaimed. “She planned all. From paying your old secretaries to do something wrong to gave up their position. She wants to not just taste you but to get money from you. And she's not alone, but we'll take care of that”

My mouth parted as I read the documents. It was evidences that Fina took most of half of the sales for this month. Gusto niya rin na makuha ang finger print ko kaya niya ginawa ‘yon. Nag kuyom ang palad ko.

“Thanks to Tori, he found out and revealed it to the board.” Mom said.

“What?” I confusedly asked.

“He’s the one who handle the meeting because you left us. Tangina ne’to diko alam kung pano niya ginawa ‘yon. He just convince all of them not to withdraw their shares. Guess what? They fucking didn’t!” hindi makapaniwalang sambit niya. Habang si Mr. Tori ay tahimik lang sa kinauupuan at halatang nahihiya.

Sinuri ko si oldie ng mabuti. He’s wearing a faded pants and grey shirt. He look simple and really under my mother. I didn’t know he knew a lot in business.

“Thanks.” ‘yon lang ang nasabi ko. Tumango lang siya. I think mom makes him like that, my mother’s presence is really intimidating. Now she’s complementing him, big time. Can’t sue him.

Binalik ko kay mom ang papel. Ayoko na makita baka lalo akong hindi maka labas dito. Babalik na sana ako sa kama ko nang biglang pumadyak padyak ang paa ni Shane. Pa biling biling din ang ulo niya. Tila ba nahihirapan.

“S-shane? Shane?” tinapik ko ang pisngi niya.

“I’ll call the doct—”

“Ako na, mag pahinga ka na dyan.” Mr. Tori insist. Lumabas agad siya at pag balik ay kasama na niya ang doktor at nurse.

I tried my best to wake her up. The moment I succeed also broke me. Nagising siyang umiiyak. Binigyan ko ng daan ang doktor para tingnan siya. Pinakalma niya ito at niyakap. Assuring her that no one will hurt her.

I heard my mother sobbing on my side. I’m fighting myself to cry witnessing this. She cried like a child. She’s scared of everyone…even me.

“Shane—”

“Lumayo ka! Wag kang—ah!” napa takip siya ng tainga, “tama na! Ayoko na—” hindi siya naka palag nang turukan siya ng pampa tulog.

As soon as she close her eyes…I cried.

My mother hug me as she try to stop herself from crying. Oldie is the only one who’s strong for us. And I am forever thankful with that.

Nakatulog ako dahil sa kakaiyak at pagod. When I woke up it’s still dawn. 4 am I think. I saw my mom sleeping on oldie’s lap. He’s also sleeping. Both of them look so tired.

Kakabalik lang ng bansa tapos ganito agad bungad sayo. Sinong hindi mapapagod?

Tapos—“What the fuck?” gulat na sambit ko habang naka hawak sa dibdib.

Shane was sitting on her bed, not saying anything. Madilim pero alam kong tulala siya. Agad ko naman siyang tinabihan. Ang akala ko itataboy niya ako pero hindi.

“Shane…are you okay?” I asked as I brush my hand to her hair.

Hindi siya sumagot pero tumingala siya sa’kin.

“Do you want some food? Meron dito dala kanina sila mom, pero kung gusto mo mainit pwede ako bumaba—” na hinto ako nang bigla niya akong yakapin. My heart suddenly melt.

I hug her back. She’s not saying any word but the way she breaths…I know that she’s trying to relax her mood. I patted her head.

“Are you okay? Do you need anything? Just tell me.” I spoke.

“What is it? Uh…I can hear you.” She’s saying something but her voice was so low.

“G-gutom…na’ko—“bigla siyang na patalon na para bang natakot. Humigpit ang yakap niya.

“I won’t let someone hurt you. I’ll just open the lights, then we’ll eat.” I assured her.

She let go of me and I walk towards the switch. As the light covered the whole room her eyes landed almost everywhere.

Lumapit agad ako sa kaniya. “Hey…its fine. Nandito naman ako, tsaka sila mom. Anong gusto mong kainin hmm?” malambing kong tono.

“Uhm…mainit. Basta mainit—‘yon.” Tinuro niya ang cup noodles sa mesa na katabi lang ng natutulog kong magulang.

I smiled at her. I know it’s not really healthy. But I think it’s fine, as long as not every time. Kumuha ako ng tatlong cup. Hinila ko rin ang hospital table papunta sa kama niya. Sunod kong binalikan ang medium size na thermos. Sa hospital ‘yon mismo, pinapagamit sa mga pasyente.

Umupo ako sa tabi niya habang inaasikaso ang pagkain. “We have to wait for five to eight minutes.” I spoke. She nodded as she rest her head on my shoulder. She’s kinda small so… she fit really well.

After the waiting time, we started eating using plastic fork and spoons that I found earlier.  She look so pale and weak at the same time. I sigh, and tried to hide the pain.

“I’ll feed you…is that okay?” I asked her permission. Ako lang kasi ang nag simulang kumain.

She nodded. I start feeding her slowly. Nang matapos siya ay tsaka ako kumain. I glance at the two, they’re still sleeping even if the lights were on. They must be really tired.

“Here, drink.” I gave her a bottled water. She drink half of it, before returning it to me.

Tinapon ko sa basurahan ang pinagkainan namin bago siya kumutan. I kiss her forehead. “Have a good sleep.”

Babalik na sana ako sa kama nang hawakan niya ang kamay ko. Her warm hand feels relaxing. She’s just staring at me.

“You want me to sleep beside you?” I asked. She slowly nodded. I smiled and did what she wants.

I hope my presence can secure her. I fix our blanket and close my eyes. I felt her face on my neck. She seem scared but trying to be strong. I brush her hair with my fingers. “Shh…I’m here, just call my name if you need anything.” I whisper.

-_-