Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

Click. Cloudy with a chance of ra- click. And the award goes to Min- click.  

I sighed and threw the remote down.  Nothing interesting was on while I waited to be signed out.  I didn't even know where I was going since "home" was the last place I wanted to be, but I knew I couldn't avoid it forever.

**********  

30 minutes later and I found myself sitting in the passenger seat of Brittany's car.  She was silent as we drove. The leather seats below were slightly warm as I played with the hem of it, while staring out at the scenery zooming past.  Brittany cleared her throat, and I glanced at her.  Her fists were gripping onto the wheel so hard that her knuckles were turning white. 

 She seemed very tense... "Are you okay Brittany?"  

She slightly turned her head to me and sighed.  "No I'm not I was just informed of the horrors you went through in the past week!  How could I be fine!"

Her voice rises towards the end; I could tell it was taking a toll on her.  I sigh, "Don't worry there was nothing you could have done other then try to help and get yourself hurt like Sam did" I whisper his name.

I needed to talk to him, see how he felt about me.  Although I wouldn't be able to leave Kade, I had a physical need to be with him after all we were childhood friends and together we had been through tragedy.  

We needed each other to get through everything and most of all we needed to catch up on all the years we missed.

"Megan Megaaaan!" I felt a hand grab my arm and gently shake me.

“Helloo?  I've been trying to get your attention! " Brittany says exasperated.  

“What did you call me?"  She looks startled at my question, "Megan... " I cringe at the name now, knowing it could be the name my parents gave me after they hired someone to kidnap me, if that was the case.

This realization reminds me of all the other things that have to be settled with the court and who knows!  Would Kade be charged with murder by staying in the house with John?  Speaking of the house... Had the cop that didn't even believe us check the house out to write a report?  Was there an investigation going on right now? Would we be questioned?

Brittany all of a sudden slammed on her brakes pulling me out of my trail of thought.  I yell in surprise and look up to see at least 5 cop cars racing down the road in the opposite direction, there lights reflecting blue and red on the surrounding cars as there screeching sirens fade with distance.

"That was... Strange" I say, but as the words leave my mouth I think what if they were headed to the house?

I quickly turn my head and follow the lights until they disappear.  I look to Brittany with a mysterious grin.  She gives me a funny look and realization crosses her features.  "Oh no!  We are not following them, how could you want to go back to that house after everything you’ve been through?”

I sink back into the seat in defeat, she's right the more I think about it the more my sudden urge to go fades.  "You’re right, let's just g-" before I finish I am cut off by a cop siren following behind us.  

Brittany looks to me for guidance, "I wasn't speeding! Oh god I can't get arrested!"

My face mirrors her expression, as she gently pulls over to the side of the road and puts the car in park.

We hear footsteps and then a knock on the window.  A bearded cop with large glasses greets us with his badge.

“Can you please step out of the vehicle ladies, we need to bring you in for questioning on the disappearance of John Hardy” he says in a serious tone.