45. box

"Dis mine? Dis Mireille?" Mireille asked Maia pointing to a box on the table. At 5 years old, she was just learning to verbally express herself. She had recently been formally adopted by Maia and Chuck. Luisa Pilar or Pipay, found the infant in a box next to their garbage bins. After a few days in the hospital, the baby was going to be sent to a home for special children. However, Maia could not stop thinking about the baby. She and Chuck already had 15 children, 3 of which were biological, and had fostered over 20 children over the years. When Maia held the baby in her arms, she felt a strong connection with it almost immediately.

"She has Down's Syndrome." Dr. Tricia, her children's pediatrician, told Maia when she inquired about the baby the morning after Maia brought the child to the hospital after Pipay found the infant in the box.

"Oh"

"I also suspected a heart defect which might require surgery."

"Actually, I was thinking about adopting her."

"Anong sabi ni Chuck? Yung mga bata?"

"Hindi ko pa sinasabi sa kanila."

"Alam mo naman ang stand ko, diba? Besides, most orphans na may special needs don't get the same opportunities as the normal kids."

"Pero nagkkwento din si Sr. Leonora na madami sa kanila ay na-a-adopt ng foreign couples."

"Sila din kasi ang may pera for the medical expenses of these kids."

"True. But we can also provide for her. Kaya namin..."

"Well, you have 15 kids. Pero, wala naman silang life-long medical conditions..."

"Thank God"

"Pag-usapan nyo muna..."

Maia called everyone to a family meeting, and they agreed that they would give the baby a chance. Even Chuck was excited to have new baby in the family. A month later, after Mireille Aurora was baptized, she underwent an open heart surgery to correct her congenital heart disease. She also had hypotonia or poor muscle tone. This caused delay in hitting milestones such as sitting up independently and walking. Her siblings were enamored with Mireille's charms. She was always smiling and loved to give hugs.

Even with Mireille in the family, Chuck and Maia did not stop fostering children. With experience in raising Mireille, they adopted 2 more children, twins Aiden and Rebecca, from China. The twins were also found in the street and had life-long medical issues.

---

Maia started a tradition of sending out care boxes every year with her kids.

"Will we also get to meet the person who receives our box?" Paoie asked after she sent her first box, months after her adoption. This question was repeatedly asked by almost every child.