39. homecoming

Maia woke up sore. This was not uncommon since her belly started to grow bigger. A few days ago, she suddenly felt the urge to do house chores. When she married Chuck, Maia had to learn to loosen up a bit and allow the household staff to do the needed chores around the house. She was constantly reminded to just supervise and relax. However, as she neared the end of her pregnancy, she somehow became obsessed with making sure that the nursery was prepared for the babies' arrival.

"Nay, what's happening?" Chuck asked Nanay one afternoon when Maia complained again that she was tired after cleaning and organizing the nursery.

"Hmm. Malapit-lapit na siguro sya manganak. Ganyan din ako noon nung pinagbubuntis ko si Maia."

"Really?"

"Oo. Nagalit nga ang Tatay nyo sa akin."

"Why?"

"Sinipag akong linisin yung kusina at banyo."

"Okay naman po yun ah. Bakit sya nagalit?"

"Ginamit ko kasi panlinis yung sepilyo nya!"

"Ayayay!"

"Maraming pwedeng ipahiwatig ang pagka-ready ng isang babae sa panganganak. Hindi sya pare-pareho. Kung si Maia, parang nasusian at may lakas para maglinis, meron din na gustong matulog o magpahinga lang."

Chuck listened intently to Nanay's explanation. He also went online to read up on what happens when pregnant women are about to give birth.

---

When Chuck woke up the next morning, he was slightly surprised to find Maia still lying in bed beside him. The last few days she was very energetic but this morning, she was complaining that she was tired and sore.

"Were you able to sleep well?" Chuck asked.

Maia nodded.

"How are you feeling now?" Chuck sat up and felt Maia's forehead.

"Kakagaling ko lang ng CR."

"Okay."

"Muntik na akong mahulog."

"What?!"

"Parang nag-jelly yung mga tuhod ko e"

"Did you fall?"

"Hindi naman."

Moments later.