31. vows

"Places please"

Maia closed her eyes and exhaled. As she slightly lifted her head to nod in acknowledgment, there was a slight commotion in the hallway just outside the door.

"...wala kang ibang dala?"

"...wala po...pwede bang magyapak nalang?"

"...kung mahaba yung gown mo sana kaso..."

"Ano ba ang size ng paa mo?" Maia asked she calmly approached the stressed bridesmaid. Marijoy, one of the orphanage teens, looked up at Maia, flushed and teary-eyed. "Halika..." Maia said and walked back into the room.

"Ma'am..."

"5 minutes please..." Maia said. The wedding coordinator just nodded and closed the door.

"Sigurado po kayo..."

"Sige na, bumalik ka na sa pwesto mo" Maia smiled and nodded.

"Thank you po" Marijoy said and left.

---

Chuck craned his neck toward the door at the end of the aisle for the nth time.

"Relax" Dino said as he grabbed at Chuck's shoulder and squeezed and tapped it. "It won't be long now..." Dino smiled reassuringly. His family had already made their way down the aisle along with the secondary sponsors. Even Maia's mom was already seated in her place. Only the ring bearer, flower girls, the bride, and her father were left.

Chuck nodded and just like magic, the music changed and the people in the pews glanced toward the doors which were closed again after the first 'group' walked down the aisle. The music changed and the doors were opened again. A sudden 'awww-ing' and giggling cut through the music. Chuck's nephew, Jacob, was being pushed in a small vintage car, by Sophie, Maia's niece. Jacob stole the show because he was fast asleep as three-year-old Sophie pushed the toy car from behind.

As the amusement over Jacob died down, Tatay took his place by the door. A second later, Maia stood next to Tatay and clipped her arm on his. They slowly walked down the carpeted aisle with Maia nervously shaking as tears streamed down her cheeks. At the foot of the altar, Chuck stood waiting. He was also emotional and tried to smile through his tears.

Unexpected scenarios took place one after the other at Chuck and Maia's wedding. Chuck's Nana flew in with Dino, Kim, and Jacob, a week before the ceremony. Nana said she felt unwell a day after they arrived from Canada, so she had been spending time at hospital. Much to everyone's surprise, Nana looked radiantly beautiful and healthy at the wedding. Maia received her wedding gift earlier – Nana's purchase of the orphanage to be managed by Maia. Because of Nana's condition, Maia could not personally thank the grand matriarch. A small incident happened a few moments before Maia walked down the aisle; and Chuck pulled a 'stunt' during the ceremony.