5. coffee

Maia glanced behind her when the barista greeted the next person who came into the coffee shop. She turned back and smiled at the cashier. The cashier smiled back and nodded. Maia left the counter and chose a table to sit at.

"Okay, that's a venti coffee frappucino..."

"Venti? I only ordered for a grande"

"Opo. Your drink has been upsized"

"Huh? Same price?" Chuck looked toward the posters and announcements in the store for free upsize of drinks.

"...binayaran na po nung girl na nauna sa inyo yung upsize nyo and your choice of pastry daw po"

"Oh wow!" Chuck looked around the coffee shop to see who his kind benefactor was. He was looking at his phone when he entered the shop, so he didn't notice who was at the counter before him. He completed his order and walked away from the counter still looking around the shop. The other customers were either busy in conversation or their devices.

Minutes later, "Drinks at the bar for Athena! One tall caramel macchiato with mint syrup and a chocolate chip cookie for Athena!" the barista called out.

The name "Athena" resonated with Chuck and it made him look at the pick-up counter. Two girls walked toward the counter when suddenly, his phone rang and startled him. When he looked toward the counter again, neither of the two girls were in sight plus a group of people took the table near the area of the counter. There was no one at the condiments counter nor was there anyone else walking with a tray of food. "Bakit ba kasi Athena pa yung pangalan e? Sino nga ba si Athena?"

---

After getting her drink and food, Maia took out her notebook and started making her Christmas list. She had been doing this ever since she started working. Aside from her family and best friend, Paola, she wanted to give a little something to her 'other family', the kids and people of the orphanage. Sister Berna also made her in-charge of decorating the orphanage's common room. Maia checked her phone for more ideas.

Over by one of the couches, Chuck opened his Facebook page. The friend request tab was still present, so Chuck cautiously accepted the request. "Bahala na" he thought. He then carefully looked around if anyone would react 'differently'.