12. diary

Maia was astonished with Chuck's piano playing and singing. He usually spoke to her in English or Taglish while she responded to him in Filipino but the songs he sang were all in Filipino. The kids seated next to Maia exchanged glances and kept on looking back and forth between Maia and Chuck while giggling with giddiness, especially the teen girls. The other nuns and staff were also feeling giddy with Chuck's efforts. Mother Carmela smiled proudly for her grandnephew.

"Bakit po, Father?" Sr. Berna said to Fr. Dominic when she saw him reappear from behind the altar. She thought that he had already left the altar and joined them on the pews.

"Mag-o-officiate na ba ako ng kasal?" Fr. Dominic asked teasingly which made Sr. Berna and the other nuns giggle.

"Hindi po" Sr. Berna replied. She pointed toward Chuck and Maia. Chuck finished playing the piano and approached Maia.

"Is it okay if we exclusively date?" Chuck said after he gave Maia a bouquet of flowers (aside from the roses he asked the kids to give her earlier).

Maia had been deliberating about Chuck's intentions ever since he started regularly texting her. They would often see each other at the orphanage but communicated a lot via text.

---

"Nililigawan ka ba ni Chuck?" Nanay asked Maia one day. About a month or two after Chuck started volunteering at the orphanage, Nanay noticed a slight changes in Maia. She seemed to be happier on days that she volunteered. And lately, Maia seemed to smile more. The family would normally hang out by the living room after dinner. In the past, Maia often lorded over the TV remote but lately, Nanay could appreciate her programs more because Maia was busy with her phone – smiling and giggling as she focused on her screen.

"Friends po kami"

"Friends?"

"...close friends..."

"Di ba pareho lang yun? Hindi ka naman ganyan nung naging 'friend' mo sina Tonton at, sino nga yun?"

"Wag nyo na pong paalala..." Maia said, her mood turning slightly sour.

"Sasagutin mo ba si Chuck kung ligawan ka nya?"

Maia shrugged her shoulders.

"Mukhang disente naman sya. Mabait at matulungin. Tapos, apo pa ni Mother Carmela. Close sila ni Mother, ano?" Nanay continued.

Maia couldn't help but nod in agreement. Chuck was a decent person. He was kind and respectful. Physically, he was tall, good looking, and athletic. Most of the teen girls and other people in the orphanage said they had a crush on him. In fact, she also found him attractive. A lot of his traits were what Maia was looking for in a boyfriend.