Chapter Twenty-Two: Injuries

Toshi flashed Izuku a smile. He walked over to where Izuku was sitting and sat about half a foot away beside him. Izuku stiffened. Not because of the conversation-inviting gesture, but at the inevitable conversation. He's going to embarrass himself or annoy a poor stranger, right? Maybe even both. What could he offer to the conversation? Was he already being weird? Why won't his cheeks just cool down?!

"So, what're you doing out here?" Toshi asked, keeping the calm, not annoyed—but soon could be—grin on his face.

Izuku took a deep breath. It was just a simple question. No need to freak out about it. Bringing his hand to his face, Izuku soaked in the iciness of his palm to erase the red on his cheeks. He opened his mouth to answer, but nothing came out. What should he say? Anything but the truth would sound suspicious, and the truth would put Deku in a hero agency. Or worse, behind bars.

"I'm... u-um..." Even if he has to tell him he's looking for someone, his major priority should be to keep his name secret. With that information out, his vigilante career hangs in the balance of a stranger's hands.

Toshi bit his lip for a second as a spark of realization crossed his face. He quickly changed the subject. "What's your name?"

"Izuku."

Izuku had the sudden urge to dig a 10-foot-deep hole, jump down it, curl up in a ball, and die. Why the hell did he just say that?! Izuku instinctively tried to bring his other hand to cover his face, but jarring bolts of pain ran up his arm. He jumped slightly, but tried to play it off by shifting in his sitting position.

Toshi's smile dropped. "Is your arm okay?"

"Y-Yeah..." Izuku trailed off. At least he didn't give his family name. If Toshi suspected him of being Deku, his last name would definitely be a solid piece to identify him with. Along with his face... and broken arm. Why would Toshi be in the alleys in the first place?

Was it really a coincidence that they just happened to meet here? In the abandoned alleys, of all places? All the heat and color drained from Izuku's face. Was Toshi an undercover cop or something?

It was strange that someone wanted to talk to him, of all people. Though it was probably just his job, Izuku couldn't help the flicker of sadness that washed over him. There's no way someone would actually want to talk to him, so what right does he have to be hurt over it? It's his fault for being like this.

"Izuku?" A concerned expression crosses Toshi's face as he turns his body towards him.

Izuku flinched at his name. Did he really just suspect someone who wanted to help him as a threat? After they met just a couple minutes ago? Before he knew anything about him? He's a selfish, terrible person. Who would just accuse people trying to help them? Izuku brought his knees closer to his chest. His thighs rubbed volts of pain into his arm. There wasn't anything Izuku could do to hide the harsh flinch traveling across his body as he yanked his leg away from himself.

"I've dealt with a lot of injuries in my day." Toshi reached a hand out for Izuku's injured arm, but halted his reach just before touching it. "Do you mind if I look at it?"

Izuku turned his head to meet Toshi's eyes. Nothing but pure-blooded kindness shone inside blue irises. But not without the growing hints of sympathy and concern swimming through them the longer he didn't answer.

Damn, he hated himself. Not only could he not hold a decent conversation, accuse someone who wanted to help him, not keep his name hidden, but he also worried Toshi. Someone who has a life—better things to do than worry about some 'lost-cause-kid.' Izuku's throat constricted. Why couldn't he just be normal and not screw up for once?