Chapter Eleven: School Investigation

Izuku anxiously stood in front of the door to his classroom. It wasn't just the nervousness of facing his tormentors that was killing him, but the fear that Kacchan wasn't okay. That maybe his attempt to rescue him, was just that. A mere attempt. Had he gotten hurt when he was kidnapped by the Sludge Villain? Or worse... permanently injured? He bit his lip. Anything that happened to Kacchan, he was responsible for. It would be his fault for not being able to protect him. "You gonna open the door or not?" An obviously annoyed classmate sighed behind him. "S-sorry," Izuku stuttered, turning the knob with his trembling hands.

There Bakugo was, whacking one of his goons in the back of their head. Not yelling, surprisingly. Was Izuku stupid for believing Kacchan might have been disabled from an injury or something? Yeah. Bakugo was the strongest person he knew. Hell, Izuku was even the one who pulled Kacchan out of the Sludge Villain's grasp in the first place.

They made eye contact. The mere anticipation for Bakugo's hatful ruby-red glare almost knocked Izuku off balance. But it never came. Kacchan just looked away with slight annoyance. Was he messing with him? Izuku scampered away to his desk, hoping not to cause a scene or stand in someone's way again. After a dreadful few minutes of stares, whispers, and gossip directed at him, the teacher finally calmed down the class. They turned their head towards the door, telling someone to enter the room. Curiosity darted Izuku's eyes towards the door frame.

Endeavor and a black haired man walked into the classroom.

A heavy breath hitched in his throat. Why the hell would Endeavor bother coming to a school- let alone his classroom, if it wasn't for him? Izuku swallowed it down. There wasn't a point in freaking out, unless he wanted to get caught. Endeavor most likely doesn't even suspect him specifically. If he did, why would he come to his class instead of stalking him and catching him when he's alone? He silently released his breath, letting the relief of his reasoning bring his worries to a halt.

Izuku had the chance to meet the 2nd ranked hero. If this was under any other circumstance, he'd be incredibly excited. Maybe he should let his child-like excitement cheer him up. This would be a great time to take notes on him too, and maybe even devise a plan to escape him if the problem arises. There's no reason to put himself under unnecessary stress, right?

The shorter man standing next to him cleared his throat. "I am Detective Tsukauchi, and this, as you probably already know, is hero Endeavor. Today we will be conducting interviews of specific 8th and 9th grade students of this school. If you're interviewed, don't panic. We're here for the benefit of this school, so we'll be asking questions about your school and home life." Tsukauchi and Endeavor bowed, thanking the class for listening and walked out as the teacher started their lesson.

'Helping the school' is an obvious front to find Deku. Or maybe just obvious to Izuku. That was clear from the start. Seriously, Endeavor caring about a random school that wasn't a prestigious hero school like U.A.? Who'd believe that? Izuku nervously fiddled his thumbs. Whoever had a reason to doubt it, that's who.

The detective's words soaked deeper into his thoughts, making whatever was stopping his distress from before vanish.

Specific 8th and 9th grade students? The only person who knew that he was Deku and his age was Yui. So it was true, huh? That he was a terrible person. That Yui felt used. That he was just an annoyance to her. That he didn't deserve friends.

It really was Yui who had betrayed him. Even though he saw the news, why is he so hurt? It was because of him that she reported him. It was his fault. For thinking that maybe his friendship with her would end any differently than with his classmates. Bakugo. His father. Even his own mother. Everyone. It wasn't so much as the usual panic that beat in his veins through every heartbeat, but guilt. The same guilt that slowly tortured his mother, and eventually led to her disappearance. At least it would only affect him this time, since he finally learned his lesson. He didn't deserve friends.