xii. as your best friend

EDITED ON 12/23/22.

"what the fuck is going on with you?" chris quickly turned around, his heart skipping a beat when he saw the girl behind him.

"olivia..." he started, but was cut off.

"don't. i don't need one of your bullshit explanations." she walked up to him. "i've moved on, chris. i found someone else. you can't be the one feeling upset when you were the one who ruined things." chris scoffed.

"olivia, we were nine years old. i'm sorry for not reaching out afterwards but to be fair, you didn't either."

"because i didn't think you wanted to talk to me!" olivia responds. "we were best friends, chris. and you didn't even say goodbye when i moved away. and i waited and waited for you to start talking to me but you never did. this whole time i thought i did something wrong but now when i finally realize that it was stupid to be so caught up in it and i've moved on, you suddenly want to fix things." she said.

"i just want to know why, chris? why didn't you bother reaching out. you know i keep grudges but you didn't bother to fix it until you were forced to see me again."

"i can't tell you, olivia." chris says, almost yelling. "i just... can't. not while you're with him. it's gonna ruin everything." olivia's eyes softened, but she still looked upset. she walked up to chris and looked at him. the two's eyes met.

"you already ruined everything." she said before turning around and leaving.

"cory, let me talk to him." chris heard matt say. a moment later, matt dragged him out the front door, where there were no people.

"matt, every time i say sorry-" chris started before being interrupted by the girl.

"no. you need to shut the fuck up, chris. you've been throwing around the word 'sorry' so much lately, it's getting annoying. you need to learn to own up to what you did. saying sorry won't do any shit for you, let me tell you that firsthand. you can't just say sorry and expect everything to be all sunshine and daisies again, chris!" matt exclaimed. chris sighed.

"i know. i keep messing up and then i say something or do something that fucks it up even more." he said, burying his face in his hands. matt's eyes softened.

"chris." he puts a hand on his brother's shoulder and chris looks up. "why'd you do it?"

"i was angry. and sad and just so fucking confused. i was nine years old and i was feeling so many feelings it was overwhelming. i never reached out because i assumed she hated me, and i was right." he explained. matt gave him a sympathetic look.

"chris, i'm saying this as your best friend and your brother. you need to move on from her. stop apologizing and move forward with your life. from what i heard and saw, she has jordan right now. and she's probably happy with him. so you need to either suck it up and move on or make things right and tell her without giving her a chance to interrupt you." he said. chris grimaces as he thinks about his options.

"i really hope i figure it out." he says, giving matt a small hug. "thank you, matt."

"hey, what kind of brother would i be if i didn't help?" he asks. chris shakes his head.

"can you take me home? i need to... think."

"sure. i'll tell cory to go home with olivia and nick'll come home with nate."

maha speaks :)

hi from school!

it's only 9 am i want to get out of here

ALSO i changed this chapter a bit, so chris did NOT kiss cory and instead of cory giving him the pep talk, it's matt.