𝑡𝑤𝑜 ᵈᵉᵃˡ ʷⁱᵗʰ ᵃ ᵈᵉᵛⁱˡ

The performance was quite nice. Dancing with fire in general, swallowing it and spitting flames, you like the thrill. You specialized in belly dance as a child but never got the opportunity to present it, instead you were needed to sell candies and snacks. Boring. Two years ago you restarted again and learned from the fire eater who now retired and left the circus. They wanted you to replace him and your shows were quite a refreshment for the circus. The children love a good show, the women are jealous of your body (though there's nothing to be jealous of in your opinion) and the men, well, they are their own chapter. Jerome was right about them and you. Your exotic dances are loaded with sexual energy. You are a whore and you like it. You like the attention the older men give you. Boys your age never look your way twice, or so you like to believe. While you like your performances, you felt like something was off tonight. You felt watched. Not the usual fascinated glances of the audience, no. It felt like someone was there, someone who's not supposed to be there.

Right now you just want to forget that weird feeling in your gut. You leave the main tent for good and hide yourself behind it, pulling a cigar out of your purse. You are about to look for your zibo, your mother gave you before she died, when a voice behind you cracks the silence.
"Looking for- ugh- this?" Annoyed, you turn around, meeting eyes with the ginger haired idiot who apparently stole your beloved lighter.
"Give it back." You form a straight line with your mouth. No attempts from his side.
"Please?" You try again, a little nicer this time.
"Sure." He comes closer, but shows no intention of giving it back to you yet again. Instead he puts it into his coat with a serious expression.
"But first I'd like to talk." He's not bubbly, not sinister or faking to be at joy like usually. He's deadly serious, which is not a good sign.

"About?" You wonder out loud and tidely put your cigarette back into its paper box.
"It's about what happened last Friday." Of course it's about that day. You swallow deeply, flashbacks dominating your thoughts.
"I'm still mad at you. The marker didn't-" Jerome is quickly shutting you down.
"It's not about that." He rolls his eyes in annoyance and looks down, avoiding your stare.
"I don't want you to get any ideas." Jerome starts to explain, elegantly fidgeting with a cigarette in his hand and lightens it with your zippo.
"I didn't hit Jackson because I like you or something." He rolls his eyes and inhales the smoke of what smells like tobacco.
"Nah it's more like that he challenged my claims on you. Can't have that, you know?" His frightening grin returns and he seems to be so sure of that. The silence hits differently this time. You take a step closer to him, anger on your face.

"You may be able to hurt me, but what makes you think you have the right to claim me?" Pointing your finger at him, your voice drops dangerously low. His smile is still present, hunting you into submission. A soft chuckle leaves his lips, while he shakes his head, like you made a joke. You don't like how he thinks that he can 'claim' your or something. It makes you feel uncomfortable.
"Oh (Y/N)-" your name rolls easily from his lips while he himself closes in the free space between you two.
"-I was the one who formed you, created your new self. Don't you think I have a certain amount of claim on you because of that?" He's too close for your comfort. His words are confusing, they don't make sense. Jerome behaves a tend bit too sexual for your taste, it confuses you to a level that you don't even register him grabbing your arm.
"No I don't think so." You know how your voice sounds shaky and uneasy. It's exactly what he asked for.
"You're only lying to yourself toots." His grip tightens, making you realize that his hands are on your body, clearly overstepping into your personal bubble.
"Just so you know. I'm not attracted to you, nor do I like you or some shit like that." He spits, exhaling smoke into your face at the same time.